What's new

70's Sci Fi films (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So what are some favorite sci fi flicks from the 1970's?

I liked films from this decade because they seemed more interesting than later sci fi films which seem based more around special effects.

A film like Zardoz is quite strange and the big special effect in the film is Sean Connery in a red diaper but man the film is loaded with interesting ideas...so let's hear what you folks liked...

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I like the funkyness of them. Plaid suits, polyester everywhere, disco lights, blinking lights and togle switches. Most try to copy 2001/Clockwork Orange.

Logans Run
Westword
Futureworld

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
How about "Soylent Green" and "The Omega Man" for some Heston-goodness?

And "A Clockwork Orange" would be at the top of my list.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Yet, 2001 featured truly futuristic elements (flatscreen video displays, accurate space shots, etc.).

Zardoz is "genuine" SF, whereas the rest of it is typical of what Hollywood always passes off as "SF." Of course, with Lucas's fantasy epic (not SF), the budgetary gloves that limited this genre came off. Now, we make big-budgeted cheesy movies that bear little resemblance and relation to true SF. Most of it is just noisy fantasy.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The '60s and '70s are one of my favorite periods of time for SF filmmaking. Generally speaking films from this period have a closer affinity to their heritage of SF literature when compared to later works in the post Star Wars era of SF filmmaking. Some favorites from that period for me include:

2001: A Space Odyssey - I know, I know; the original post stated '70s, but how I could list some SF films without mentioning the greatest SF film ever made? :)
A Clockwork Orange
Zardoz
Slaughterhouse-Five
Colossus: The Forbin Project
The Andromeda Strain
The Man Who Fell To Earth
Rollerball
The Illustrated Man
Silent Running

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Logan's Run was a sort of quintessential 70s sci-fi flick for me. I think it holds up well, too. I hear someone is planning a remake of it (from the original book as source material).

Even in pessimistic films about the future, there was an optimistism that came through in the art design. Every sci-fi flick made these days is dark, dark, dark, and that in itself is depressing. One need only look at the differences in appearance for Star Trek The Motion Picture (which also gets my vote for cool 70s sci-fi flick) and Star Trek Nemesis. The former was all bright colors and optimistim for the future, while the latter was all shadow and darkness (and depressing as hell for many reasons).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Speaking of Futureworld: it still didn't make it to DVD. Which is necessary, because any true collector already owns Westworld of course.

There's an inherent problem with SciFi: the best books aren't filmed or gave rise to rather awful movies, the best SciFi movies were only so-so books (or no book at all, or a "based on the movie" atrocity).

Cees

Julie K

Screenwriter
No one has mentioned Alien(1979) yet...

But it could arguably be better classified as horror.

One of my favorites. "Time to go sleepy-bye you worthless piece of garbage"

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Jack beat me to the punch

A few others:

THX1138
The Omega Man
A Boy and His Dog
Death Race 2000

and don't laugh but I loved
Demon Seed

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Definitely A Boy and His Dog. In spite of the film's complete undermining of Ellison's poetic finale with a line that went for cheap laughs.

- Walter.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Great choice, one of the best sci-fi films ever made, and one of the best horror films ever made, and one of the best[STOP IT STEVE], a loose remake of Dark Star, and a lot scarier too.:D

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Okay, I second

THX-1138
Death Race 2000

And has anybody mentioned Battle Beyond the Stars? Yes, it's actually 1980, and yes, it's as hokey as a flick can be, but it's as hilarious as all hell. And you just have to love the Space Cowboy.

:laugh:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's also the decade of the sequels of the Planet of the Apes, of the first Star Trek movie and of the Donald Sutherland Body Snatchers.

Not really bad.

Cees

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Zen - I'm a big fan of Ellison's novella upon which the film is based. It was my first exposure to Ellison's written work ( although I had already viewed his work unknowingly ) in the form of the brilliant Demon With A Glass Hand episode of the original Outer Limits and the classic City on the Edge of Forever episode of Star Trek. The epiphany at discovering someone who would become one of my favorite writers was such that I've always valued this story. No doubt I've always enjoyed the film due to its association with the source literature, and while I am critical of the final scene the film otherwise does a fine job of capturing the story.

Blood wasn't the species of dog that I had envisioned from reading Ellison's story, but Tim McIntire's vocal characterization, and the strength of the script, were such that I was able to overcome those objections. Probably my favorite character in the film; certainly the best lines belonged to Blood.

- Walter.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Good stuff everybody. I thought this would be a cool topic because we could contrast films of the 70's with other decades. I thought the films from the 70's always had ideas and or a message that was more important than the special effects...

How about Silent Running?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Walter, thank you. Although my exposure to Harlan Ellison is limited to a very few short stories, your post inspires me. I proceed with caution though, as in the case of Philip K. Dick (PKD), I have been continually let down by screen adaptations of his work. Although I felt a certain 1982 film surpassed its' source and Minority Report, a pleasant surprise.

I'm especially interested in seeing a certain Flying Nun episode which Ellison penned! Couldn't believe that when I saw it a while back on IMDB.

It has been mentioned and I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks