70s Gems

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dion C, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Dion C

Dion C Stunt Coordinator

I decided to watch my "Macon County Line" DVD over the holiday weekend. (Solid disc for a kinda-sorta forgotten 30 yr old drive-in flick, btw.) It reminded me of some other solid 70s drive-in movies that I remember fondly from my youth that have yet to show up on disc:

"Vanishing Point"
    "White Line Fever"
    "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry"
    "Buster & Billie"
    "Electra Glide in Blue"

Each one, I'm sure, is a memory trip for a lot of HTF members -- Friday nights at the drive-in, great trailers on t.v., etc.

Does anyone have any info on the status for any of these titles?

Any other 70s titles that would fit with the above list?

2. Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney Stunt Coordinator

Joe Pinney
    How about the following:

"Eat My Dust" (1976), a car chase flick starring Ron Howard. On DVD (full screen only).

"Grand Theft Auto" (1977), Ron Howard's directorial debut. On DVD.

"Funny Car Summer" (1975), a documentary on drag racing. On DVD.

"Evel Knievel" (1971), starring George Hamilton as the daredevil motorcyclist. (on DVD, but with a bad transfer)

"Rolling Thunder" (1977), starring William Devane and boasting a Paul Schrader script. (Not yet on DVD.)

"H.O.T.S." (1979) and "The Swinging Cheerleaders" (1974), both a couple of T&A classics (along with "The Pom Pom Girls" (1976) and "The Van" (1976, with a pre-"Taxi" Danny DeVito cameo) ) All are on DVD.

The "Walking Tall" trilogy. (1973 - 1977) On DVD, but apparently with VHS transfers (in full screen).

"The Big Bus" (1979) (just released on DVD from Paramount). A spoof of 70s disaster fpi

"Corvette Summer" (1978), with Mark Hamill and Annie Potts. Unfortunately, not on DVD yet.

"Big Bad Mama" (1974), with Angie Dickinson and William Shatner. Available on DVD in full screen.

"Smokey and the Bandit" (1977), one of the better drive-in chase comedies. On DVD from Paramount.

Anything with Pam Grier in it. (most are on DVD)

Don't forget "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1974).

3. Dion C

Dion C Stunt Coordinator

Great additions, Joe. Especially "Rolling Thunder" and "Big Bad Mama" (if it's only out full-framed, I don't really consider it out at all).

As for "TCM," I always have the disc in my hand when shopping, but never put my money down: I have heard/read some disparaging criticisms re: the quality of the disc, so I wait and wait for a better release.

Thanks for those great titles!

4. Pete L

Pete L Agent

Amazon has a listing for a possible future Vanishing Point DVD here.

I have a special fondness for White Line Fever. Unfortunately, the likelihood of a DVD of this movie is pretty slim: The VHS edition went out-of-print a year or so ago, and Columbia/TriStar, who owns it, does not sub-license their product to outside DVD production companies. Otherwise Anchor Bay would be a great candidate for this one.

5. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

the ONLY one I'd kill for....The Other('72).