What's new

70's & 80's Retro Arcade Gallery (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Nice! That actually made me really miss arcades... There's still a couple around, but those are mostly gun/sim/dance etc games these days. Something about hanging out in a crowded arcade and playing games that were way beyond anything you could get on your C64 was special.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
According to the captions these photos were supposedly taken between 04 & 05 but....did you see some of the fashions? They look pretty old to me, I know there are still bastions of classic arcades out there but these photos look suspicious (age wise) to me.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Yeah. They were found in a box that was going to be thrown in a dumpster. The pictures were taken in the late 70s and early 80s.

- Colton

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ah, sorry, I must have misread the captions as that makes much more sense.....still, it would be nice to see a few retro arcades still being run today, I know they are out there & would love to visit.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
It would be great to find a retro arcade, but I just don't think it'd be profitable to keep going. Lots of space to maintain, plus older games that might get tricky to keep running, all for the odd quarters you'd get from the few nostalgia-seekers who come by? There used to be a few good ones, but even the last vestiges of classic arcades are gone. Cedar Point's midway used to have an awesome arcade with tons of classic games, but it was ripped out a few years back.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
One solution is to make your own. :)

One of our local Austin HTF members made his own stand-up MAME arcade machine:

He took an old 500Mhz PC, installed a copy of the freeware MAME32, and downloaded over 4,000 original arcade games. He then built a defender style cabinet with professional joysticks and trackball for two-player support, and then installed an old 17" CRT monitor in the cabinet. For the cabinet artwork, he simply downloaded and printed each piece out and lacquered it onto the cabinet.

The total cost of everything except the PC and monitor came out to be under $150. After seeing his, I am planning to build a couple for our game room. The only thing I want to add is a dial/spinner control - as I was a big Tempest player back in the days. :)

(ahhh... the memories, and all those quarters)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I've been wanting to build my own MAME cabinet for a while now. I even bought some controls and attempted (unsuccessfully) to build a joystick by hacking up a USB gamepad.

I'll probably finish the project at some point, but what I really want to go along with it is decent light gun support. Old joystick/buttons arcade games are great, but adding in games like Area 51 and Time Crisis would be even better.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
My fav was the game BERSERK, and no computer or console ever made that game.

Im still awaiting the day they make a Berserk game.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There were versions for the Atari 2600, 5200, and Vectrex. The 5200 version even had the voice, which is a pretty incredible feat for a 16KB machine with a 1.79MHz 6502C processor (though it and the Atari 400 the hardware was based on were one of the first home systems with a seperate sound chip). The existence of a 5200 version implies that a 400/800/XL/XE/XEGS version would have been an easy port, but I don't think it was ever done.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Dean,

I have a MAME of the original arcade version of BERSERK which plays and looks exactly like the arcade version. It is a MAC version, but I'm sure they have it for windows.

Try Googling "MAME + Berserk + windows" and you'll probably find it.

I don't think there are any classic arcade games that have not been emulated by now.

I thought it would be amusing to turn some of the sound effects from these games into ring tones and see if anyone recognizes what game it came from. :)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
There is a fairly successful one here in Portland called Ground Kontrol. However, they make extra cash on beer and private parties.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Interesting that BERZERK was mentioned because I helped the MAME team with the artwork and marquee which was scanned from my BERZERK coin-op (currently retired in the garage). If you open the artwork (berzerk.zip) and read the "berzerk.art" with notepad - you'll see my email address. Took a week to create it, but it really paid off.

- Colton

P.S. I also did the VENTURE artwork too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks