What's new

70mm Screenings of 2001; Lawrence of Arabia, and more + new print of restored GWTW! (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I posted this in the National and Local Home Theater Forum Meets area, but someone suggested I post it here as well.

I realize this is a late notice, but the films, condition of the prints, and the theater may very well be enough to interest some in a last minute trip to Austin!

If you have never heard of the Paramount Theatre, let me just say, it is considered one of the finest theaters in the world, and has hosted many world and regional film premieres over the years.

Every year the Paramount Theater hosts a summer film series, and this year it is ending with some amazing 70mm classics, several with brand new prints.

Here is the remaining schedule:

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
(70mm)
Thu 8/25/05 @ 7:30pm
Fri 8/26/05 @ 7:30pm

DOCTOR DOOLITTLE
(brand new 70mm print)
Sat 8/27/05 @ 3:30pm
Sun 8/28/05 @ 3:30pm

THE AGONY & THE ECSTACY
(brand new 70mm print)
Sat 8/27/05 @ 7:30pm
Sun 8/28/05 @ 7:30pm

THE REMAINS OF THE DAY
(70mm)
Tue 8/30/05 @ 7:30pm
Wed 8/31/05 @ 7:30pm

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
(brand new 70mm print)
Thu 9/01/05 @ 7:30pm
Fri 9/02/05 @ 7:30pm

GONE WITH THE WIND
Sun 9/04/05 @ 2:00pm
Sun 9/04/05 @ 7:30pm

Before each of the films, they will also be screening the original "Batman" serial, Warner Brothers cartoons and more.

This really is a very rare opportunity to not only see these great classics in near perfect condition, but also in a theater setting you wont soon forget.

If you can make it, PM me and I'll be sure to meet you all on 6th Street and buy the first round of drinks! :)

Tickets are an embarrassingly low $7, and if you buy 10 tickets (which can be used in any combination for all shows) the cost is only $4.50 :eek:

For more info, feel free to contact the Paramount at (512) 472-2901.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I saw the 70mms of "Doolittle" and "Agony" in England, and the prints were just superb.

As for the new GWTW, is this a "new" new print from the Ultra-Resolution print, or one of the 1998 atrocities? And is it full frame?

How I wish we could get something like this in the Southeast, particularly in the NC/SC/VA/DC vicinity.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence was screening in 70mm up here in the DC area this summer at the AFI Silver Theater. Although a whole 70mm series would definitely be nice.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
That's a good ticket price. I wonder if it wouldn't be worth driving down to see Lawrence.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Dammit me too!

Nils,
Let me just say how happy I am for you that you live in an area where people not only treasure a classic movie palace, but they see to it that it is at least occasionally used for..........of all things..........movies! For me, the nearest "saved" palace is the former Paramount of Springfield, Massachusetts. It was almost 3000 seats surrounded by equisite over the top basterdized Italian roccoco "something or other" design. I worked there briefly as a kid and I loved it. It's now a dance club called Hippodrome. The best thing I can say about it is at least it still exists. But believe me, they're not going to stop playing hip hop music so that I can see Casablanca any time soon.

My next best bet would be about an hour and a half drive time east of me at the Wang Center in Boston. This is the former Loew's Metropolitan, over 4000 seats surrounded by (again wonderfully over the top) pseudo Paris opera house decor. Unfortunately they haven't done their 70mm "big screen classics" series ( on a BIG 60' wide screen) in a number of years. They do a lot of live stuff there, but you know these giant palaces aren't at their best with live theatre, everyone's too far away.

I guess if I ever want classic film in a classic palace I'll have to make the trip to Jersey City, New Jersey for the old Loew's Jersey. I hear it is still VERY much a work in progress, but it could be a fun road trip. And there is no sign of movies in any capacity coming back to Radio City in NYC any time soon. In any case, enjoy the show!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Yeah, that's a nice theater; I saw 2001 in 70mm and also the restored Metropolis there in 2002. Cool place.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I should hope so! :)

As I mentioned in another thread, the Paramount is one of film history’s rare treasures, and one of many gems in Austin’s crown jewels. Not only is it a Texas Historical Landmark, but it is also included in the national register of historic places.

John Eberson, considered by many to be one of the greatest theater architects in the United States, designed the Paramount, originally called The Majestic Theatre. It opened its doors in 1915 and is one of the last remaining theaters to have featured Fred Niblo's original 1925 silent classic, Ben-Hur. The Paramount is also one of the few Theatres left which showed Casablanca when it was originally released. In 1992, MGM chose the Paramount as one of only a select few theaters to present the newly restored 35mm print of Casablanca in celebration of the movie's 50th anniversary. As mentioned before, the theater has also hosted several world and regional premieres, most recently it was the site for the premiere of Sin City, as well as a very early sneak peek of the film back in February.

Over the years, the Paramount has undergone several restorations, and is continually updating its equipment in order to offer the best possible presentation.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I've been there (the club). I remember wondering why such a wonderful looking auditorium was turned into a nightclub.

I went to a similar club in Atlanta on July 4th weekend as well. Gorgeous theater, I wish I could remember the name.

If you're willing to drive down to Hartford, the Trinity College theater, Cinestudio, has a classic decor as well, though not as fancy as the "Hippodrome". They show second run, arthouse, foreign and classic stuff. Cinderella Man and Holy Girl are currently playing. I saw LOA there 2 years ago.

--
H

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks for the great info Nils. As long as I can wear my A&M football shirt without getting killed, I'm there. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

The ones that really interest me are Lawrence and Gone With The Wind.

There is a beautiful old landmark Paramount Theater in Abilene too. The one you show in Austin looks more luxurious though.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Holadem, thanks for the info on Cinestudio, I'll definitely check it out.

As for the former Paramount/Hippodrome, it was open sporadically through the '90's as a live theatre. Only as a dance club has it had continued success. My question is, do the people there even realize that this place was originally built for MOVIES? Every aspect of it's design is just so far removed from the sterile cineplexes of today.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

That's what they did, and these prints are probably blood red by now, so they are never shown.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
That's a double whammy! Not only do they blow-up a 35mm negative thus showing half the detail that a real 70mm print would have, but they chopped 38% of the image off the top/bottom! OUCH!!!!

Frankly I'm concerned we may see many non 1.78 films getting cropped either vertically or horizontally to fit all these HDTV's being sold today. Of course perhaps by then most manufacturers of players and displays will offer a zoom option, and retailers will point out this option for those who absolutely insist on filling their screens.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
It's that time of year once again!

Last week the Paramount Theater kicked off their annual Summer Classic Film Series with new prints of Casablanca and King Kong (1933). Through September they will be screening the following films, some with brand new prints, and some even in 70mm with 6-track stereo DTS!:

:star: 70mm print
  • CASABLANCA
  • KING KONG (1933)
  • THE MALTESE FALCON
  • WESTSIDE STORY
  • TO CATCH A THIEF
  • THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY
  • SHADOW OF A DOUBT
  • THE LADY VANISHES
  • NORTH BY NORTHWEST
  • STRANGERS ON A TRAIN
  • COBRA WOMAN
  • THE GANG'S ALL HERE
  • THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (3-D)
  • IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (3-D)
  • LOLITA
  • BABY DOLL
  • GUNGA DIN
  • THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING
  • RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (25th anniversay screening)
  • INDIANA JONES & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM
  • INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE
  • SOPHIE'S CHOICE
  • THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN
  • CABARET
  • DOG DAY AFTERNOON
  • SERPICO
  • STAGECOACH (1939)
  • RED RIVER
  • ON THE WATERFRONT
  • A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
  • JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
  • BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S
  • ROMAN HOLIDAY
  • SERGEANT YORK
  • PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
  • :star: PATTON
  • TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
  • INHERIT THE WIND
  • SAFETY LAST
  • THE FRESHMAN (1925)
  • ANIMAL CRACKERS
  • MONKEY BUSINESS (1931)
  • GUYS & DOLLS
  • YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
  • THE PRODUCERS (1968)
  • HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO
  • MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK
  • THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER
  • NINOTCHKA
  • FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM
    (a common phrase used among HTF members) ;)
  • THE PINK PANTHER (1964)
  • THE PARTY
  • THE WOMEN
  • ADAM'S RIB
  • THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH
  • SOME LIKE IT HOT
  • FUNNY GIRL
  • ANNIE HALL
  • HANNAH AND HER SISTERS
  • HIS GIRL FRIDAY
  • BALL OF FIRE
  • ONE TWO THREE
  • THE APARTMENT
  • :star: PLAYTIME
  • :star: IT'S A MAD, MAD WORLD
  • TWELVE ANGRY MEN
  • MISTER ROBERTS
  • DIRTY HARRY
  • BULLITT
  • BYE BYE BIRDIE
  • GIANT
  • TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI
  • CLASSE TOUS RISQUES
  • BLACK ORPHEUS
  • BLACK NARCISSUS
  • THE RIVER (1951)
  • SAMURAI SAGA
  • THRONE OF BLOOD
  • :star: THE SOUND OF MUSIC
  • :star: VERTIGO
  • :star: BARAKA
  • :star: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
  • GONE WITH THE WIND
  • ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS
  • QUAIS DES ORFEVRES
  • FALLEN IDOL
  • THE THIRD MAN

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
:eek:
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Oh wait.....

:frowning: I can't see all these movies there...... Maybe just one or two.... :frowning:

Been wanting to go there for a couple years now, though.....

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
(brand new 70mm print)
Friday 9/01/06 @ 7:30pm
Saturday 9/02/06 @ 2:30pm

It's back!

LOA is coming to the Paramount on Sept. 1st & 2nd....again.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Austin residents - do these screenings usually sell out, or are tickets available in the hour before showtime?? Given that LoA is showing over Labor Day weekend I'm seriously considering driving up on Saturday to see it. Wondering if I need to secure a ticket in advance.

Also, any hotels/motels recommendations nearby? I don't think I can handle the 3+ hour drive back to League City after LoA, and since I'm up there, might as well stay for GotW on Sunday!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks