What's new

70mm Dolby Stereo on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

I believe RAH was only stating the sound format for MFL.

In general, I defer to him on anything regarding that film. :)

DJ

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

My SACD player is fairly conventional one that incorporates bass management. It has six RCA outs (F,C,R,LS,RS, SW). I run a five small + subwoofer configuration, so most of the bass ends up going to the subwoofer.

Telarc, however, uses the sixth output for a height channel. I suppose I could buy a full range (read large, bulky, and heavy) speaker to be mounted on my ceiling that would simultaneously handle all the redirected bass from the other channels as well as the height channel.... Which leaves me with a structural engineering issue.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To Mark-P...

I was actually responding to the query about audio formats.

As far as image, I'm rather aware that MFL was photographped with Super Panavision 70 equipment. The original negative was cut in A/B Techniscope format -- a bit of an oddity.

RAH

andySu

Senior HTF Member
You know I have heard of so many photography formats for the motion picture advent, “Techniscope” I’ll have to look that one up! what perf is it Robert?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
To Robert Harris

I’ve mentioned this before to you about the strange musical instrumental disappearing in “Lawrence of Arabia” disc 2 chapter 39, it’s where Lawrence walks on top on the train carriage, there is a slight botched moment on the English language which I picked out in a heart beat, and checked it against the German language and what would you know, perfect, except I don’t understand a single word anyone is saying!

Now I would really like a spot on version of the films soundtrack, none of the dts enhanced nonsense, don’t get me wrong, but unless I have hearing like a bat, I don’t think it will help me as a consumer to get hold of a better version, without any major alterations done it!?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
So Techniscope” is an affordable process, I have read that most of the European countries took this format up. “American Graffiti” yeah I have this film on DVD, now I remember the documentary, where the film process is mentioned, it’s a poor mans 35mm format, and it fooled many times in the past, it was said the process gave the film a “grainy look” and if you look closely at the screen you can see the grain moving around!?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to hear that the new release of Spartacus on home-video uses the more historic directional dialogue. I know that there are different opinions as how to present mixes like this in the home environment (WB tends to like newer centered-dialogue whereas FOX often preserves the historic mix more accurately). But even when I had a 27" TV with my L/R speakers 6 feet to either side, I always loved directional dilogue on older film mixes, and today with a front-projection system and my speakers at the very edge of the 100" screen, the effect is just wonderful.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I saw Spartacus on VHS PAL, oh just a year after its restoration release, thou the image was pledged with artefacts common to VHS, the soundtrack was on that stuck in my mind, and did the end credits have a blue background with white text titles over it?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Under correct conditions (IE: Once Upon a Time in the West), Techniscope can look quite solid and stable but yes most directors used it for the grain it produced. Much like it's decendent Super Techniscope (aka Super 35).

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Well, with much respect to the many talented Italian filmmakers who shot in Techniscope, I think it's more the likely the case that it was used in most situations as a cost-saving measure (half the stock used, less lighting requirements than true scope, etc.).

DJ

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Precisely.

I believe the last film to use it was Lust in the Dust.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks