What's new

70mm 2001 to be released, but only in DC, SF, LA and Seattle (1 Viewer)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Folks-
Some good news and some bad news for 2001 fans today. The good news is that the restored 70mm version is getting a release here in the states. The bad news is that it's only in four theaters: The Cinerama in Seattle, The Uptown in Washington, DC, The Egyptian in LA and the Castro in San Francisco. Engagements start in October in Seattle and December elsewhere. The full details from Variety:
Link Removed
- Guy

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
AWESOME!!!!!!
:) :) :)
yum.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
frown.gif
angry.gif

------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on September 20, 2001 at 01:09 PM]

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Obviously a city needs a proper venue. Large screen and capability to show 70mm films. Unfortunately, many of those theatres are either no more or were turned into multi-plexes.
By the way, this info was already posted today and has been mentioned several times in the past. I'd expect "2001"to also show in NYC as well.
------------------

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Now if only I can borrow a car / bum a ride (bum being too strong a word, I would gladly pay at least half of any and all expenses incurred) that could make the 10.5 hour long trip to DC from GA I would be there. Hell, I may see if the in-laws would let me borrow one of their vehicles. It has been an ambition of mine for the last 10 years to get to see this in 70mm and I fear that this may be one of my, if not my last chance. Here's to hoping and providence. Providence sharing the same root as provide of course.
wink.gif

------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Ooers...yet another reason I'm glad I recently moved to Seattle...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Looks like I'm gonna have to drive up to Seattle.
------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!
lotrsig.jpg

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Quote from Warner Bros. domestic distribution president Dan Fellman:
"We are extremely pleased to offer this brand-new print with superior sound to a legion of devoted fans and introduce a new generation of moviegoers to this extraordinary film at the highest level of quality,"
He just forgot, "oh if you happen to live near one of 4 cities."
Why would they put the effort into it and then only show it at a few theaters. That's fine that not a whole lot of theaters can show a 70mm print but heck I just want to see it in a movie theater period. A whole lot of crap is currently playing on the 24 screens down the street from me, but I have to drive 3 hours to see a great movie (I guess I'm lucky I happen to live not that far from DC). That's annoying.
In the article that I read it said the picture was "digitally enhanced". How was it enhanced? Just cleaned up?

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
Everything that I've read suggest that only the sound of "2001" has had any sort of remastering. The original negative has been kept in cold storage since the film was made, and apparently only needed a simple cleaning, and a re-timing of the print color for the newer polyester print stocks.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I guess I should consider myself lucky. DC is about 4 hours from me. Had it been NYC I probably would not have made the journey. As it stands, it looks like I'll be visiting DC in a few months...
I thought for sure that the magnificent Senator theater in Baltimore would've been selected to show 2001 in all its 70mm glory, but I'm relieved to know that it's definitely coming, and I can live with the extra hours drive to DC.
I can't wait to see this in the theater again (its been 26 years!) although I'm not sure if this will be the first time in 70mm. Hey, when your nine years old and see this film in a theater you could only watch in awe and not concern yourself with such trivial details as film formats!
biggrin.gif

It will be truly inspiring to see the new restored print sans the awful EE that occasionally plagues the new DVD.
Since there are many HTF members in the general vacinity of DC maybe we could set up a 'HTF 2001 Screening' on a day convenient to as many interested members as possible. Wouldn't that be great! Maybe we could get Jack Briggs to fly out and give us a running commentary as we watch the film. Now THAT would be really cool! JK Jack, I know you've probably already reserved a 'sweet spot' seat at the Egyptian for the entire run!
laugh.gif

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
As usual there is big gaping hole in the heartland of America. I would even consider driving as far away as Dallas to watch this on the big screen.
Hey I bet airline tickets are pretty cheap about now?
Kevin C.
------------------
If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Also frustrated that it isn't showing anywhere near me but it's good that Warner's is at least releasing it somewhere.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
New York has at least two theaters with 70mm capability: the Ziegfeld (which played 2001 many times since 1970) and the Astor Plaza which is currently showing APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX. Maybe both of these theaters are booked up through the end of the year, but I hope not. At least I can always go to Washington, DC if I have to (220 miles away).
--Bill

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
This really sucks. Instead of a short subway ride to Manhattan, it's gonna be a long drive to DC to see 2001 theatrically.
frown.gif

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
After talking it over with my significant other, it appears that we will try to make a trip to SF from Atlanta. We may be able to get a decent air fare and we have some family out there that we think could put us up. It all depends. This has long been one of my goals and I consider that it would fulfill my larged cinematic desire to see 2001 in 70mm. I just hate that I have to go so far to see it. Oh well, always love an excuse to take a trip. Now if I can get around the no vacations in 4th quarter rule and buy few enough DVDs between now and then to save up enough for the trip (and knowing what's coming this 4th quarter it will be nigh impossible to not buy) then I will be heading towards a city too far away.
All this for a movie. I hope she doesn't divorce me...
wink.gif

------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks