What's new

704 Hauser should be included with one of the All In The Family Season releases (1 Viewer)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Well, I think that the show called 704 Hauser should be packaged with one of the All In The Family season releases. 704 Hauser is a short lived 6 episode TV series about a black family who lives in Archie Bunkers old house at 704 Hauser Street.

Since this show was only 6 episodes, Columbia Tristar should included 704 Hauser on a disc with one of the All In The Family season releases.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I'm for it, I though it was pretty good, maybe though it could be paired with Archie's spinoff series, and didn't Gloria have one.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

I also forgot about this show. I looked up Norman Lear on IMDB about 30 minutes ago & I clicked on the 704 Hauser link & lo & behold, this was the show I was looking for.

I didn't really care too much for this show but I think that Columbia Tristar should included it with one of the All In The Family season releases since this show is part of the AITF family of TV shows.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Great idea. Perhaps they could put one episode on six successive season releases as a bonus (rather than add a disc to one release and raise the price).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Since Columbia is featuring no extras on any of these sets the chances of seeing any of these are slim and none. There's been alot of failed series over the year that have lasted for ver few eps, anyone remember the MASH Spinoff W*A*L*T*ER* ? It would be nice if they released a box set of these one shots like this and 704 Hauser

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'll be dipped! I had never even heard of this short-lived series, 704 HAUSER.

Upon looking it up, I see that John Amos from "Good Times" fame starred in this series, as "Ernie Cumberbatch". I'd vote for having these 6 episodes included on an AITF release just for the reason that Mr. Amos was in it. He's good in everything.

It's interesting that the name "Cumberbatch" was used too. If you'll recall, in an episode of AITF, Archie refers to a person he knew in his old neighborhood named "XXXX Cumberbatch". Can't recall the first name. It was a funny-sounding nickname I think.

Anybody know if the exact same AITF set was utilized for "704 Hauser"?

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
David, the name used was Roundtree Cumberbatch.

Norman Lear was thought of as someone "going back on treaded ground" when he produced the show in 1994. It never really survived it... I've seen clips from the show and it's quite odd... I don't even know if the characters in the show acknowledged that they live in the house of A. Bunker.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
704 Hauser had ties to the original series, the character of Joey Stivic was in the first episode and I swear I remember an awkward moment with someone at the door during the credits but I am not certain if this is true and who was there. The layout of the house was the same.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Now this is a great idea. Unfortunetly, according to the AITF: Season 1 review at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/siterev...m?ReleaseID=853 , the original pilot is lost but the second pilot does exist.

The first pilot, called Justice for All, exists at the UCLA film archive:

Uniform title: All in the family (Television program : 1971-1992). Pilot.
Title: Justice for all. [Pilot] / a Bud Yorkin-Norman Lear production ; executive producer, Norman Lear ; producer, Howard Adelman ; directors, Norman Lear and Gordon Rigsby ; written by Norman Lear.
Published/distributed: 1968.
Cast/performers: Carroll O’Connor (Archie Justice); Tim McIntire (Mike); Kelly Jean Roberts (Gloria); Jean Stapleton (Edith Justice); D’Urville Martin (Lionel).
Subject(s): Blue collar workers--New York (State)--New York--Drama.
Corona (New York, N.Y.)--Drama.
Genre/form: Situation comedies.
Record ID: 139810
Collection: Film and Television Archive

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
So why aren't they including both of the pilots in the first season of All in the Family?

Someone needs to get to the bottom of this.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

I read somewhere (great attribution, huh?) that Lear had kept the Bunker house set in storage ever since the cancellation of Archie Bunker's Place, and that the rental house, after several years, called to ask if he still wanted to keep paying rent. Story goes that Lear figured if he's keeping the sets, might as well use them.

I'd imagine the cost of the storage had by then surpassed the cost of rebuilding them from scratch, but whatever.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
According to that TV-Tome page, the 6th episode of "704 Hauser" wasn't even aired. Must've been quite a monster success, huh? 5 eps. aired. Oh boy. :)

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
I loved the show.

By the way, 704 also featured a pre-NewsRadio Maura Tierny.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks