$700 to spend. What to do????? Upgrade,wait etc???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Sch., Dec 21, 2002.

1. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

Basically, i have around $700-800 right now and am in the mood to either get a car stereo, Upgrade my HT setup i got last year or buy a big screen tv?
    Basically, I have this setup right now
    VR-507
    JBL N26
    JBL N24
    JBL NCenter
    Sony SAWM40 Sub
    Toshiba sd-1800 dvd
    Philips/Magnavox TV 27" PIP

Basically I dont know what to do. I usually each year get a new toy and last year you guys helped me put together this bad boy of a system. Keep in mind im in college and own a nice sized apt. Its a 2 br apt with living room. My bdroom is 300 sp ft. The other is a little smaller and the living room is around 320.

Lastley, If i do decide to upgrade, my brother said he might buy my N24's, and my TV off me. I think he said he would give me $300 for them? Is that good? If so, im looking at around $1100!! I really want a big screen or substancial sized tv or a HDTV. I need a good deal though. Please enlighten me.

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I say go for a bigger TV! Only problem is, it'll be harder to move around from year to year.

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

If you do decide to upgrade the audio portion of your HT, I'd get rid of the Sony sub and move into real sub territory like Hsu, Adire, or SVS. A quailty sub makes HT so much better.

4. Jeff Sch.

Keep the answers coming but Richard. What type of tv would be good. I mean i need a good deal on one. Good price to size ratio

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I think there are going to be pro's and con's either way you go. A good sub will definitely make a big difference and so would the big screen. I think if it were my decision I would go with the big screen this time around and do the sub next. Putting the sub second would be hard though. You might be out of your Apt. by then and this would take many of the con's away on both options. I would not want to move that big screen though. [​IMG]

6. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Go get a 36 inch analog TV such as a JVC (I have seen under 500dollars) or a 32 inch model this would be a bigger bang for your money instead of loosing money selling what you have now. 1100 is not going to put you in a decent HD ready big screen but at the 500 level and a 32 or 36 in TV would be huge compared to a 27 inch. There are some very good analog TVs out there at good prices, then reason I mentioned JVC is only because everytime I go in the local Circuit City store they have one on display and I look at it every time I walk by and I think to myself, Why didnt I buy that one instead of spending 5 times as much for a TV when all I have is cable. I do watch 480P DVDs but not so much to justify such a big difference.

7. Jeff Sch.

Hows this 1000$ tv
    its a 55" magnavox
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=25
    I do have digital cable plus im not one to sit 2 ft away from the tv. My chairs are about 10 ft away. Im not an audiophile of someone who can see every little difference but what do you think. If you guys could check out and recommend some deals that would be great.