$700 for surge suppressor/line conditioner -- recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Duane H, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Duane H

Duane H Agent

I admit to being essentially clueless on this topic. Reading the various manufacturers web sites confuses me even more.
    I hear great things about b-p-t gear, and I read the AVS Forum's Special Guest interview with b-p-t's Chris Hoff in August. I gathered that the b-p-t units don't include surge suppression. If that's correct, can someone recommend a good surge suppressor to use with the b-p-t units or, alternatively, a good all-in-one device from another company within my $700 price constraint?
    I'll also show my complete ignorance here -- If I recall correctly, Chris mentioned the desirability of routing "digital" equipment through an isolated circuit available in some of the b-p-t units. Exactly which A/V gear is considered "digital?" DVD players and CD players? Others? How about "analog?" Should video gear be isolated from audio gear with these devices? (I told you I was clueless!)
    I plan to ask b-p-t directly some of these questions but thought I'd get a head start here, since it's the weekend. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Duane- Get the Balanced Power Tech unit. For surge suppression, you can always get a $15 strip from your friendly neighborhood hardware store. (Just make sure it's rated for 1800W.)
    Go check out the Power Conditioner reviews at www.hometheaterhifi.com. Balanced power is the best and cheapest way to get clean AC power.
    And if you're thinking about a "filtered" AC power box, a la Monster, Panamax, or Adcom, go take a look here:
    http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp
    "Filters" can actually *add* distortion to your AC line.
    The Richard Grey 400s goes for around $700, but I think you'll get more benefit from a balanced power unit.
    ------------------

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

a surge suppressor can be had relatively inexpensively from a variety of companies. Panamax comes to mind. You may want to contact them via phone to go over their warranty and see how it integrates with your house/apartment insurance. is there something wrong with your existing power that's coming to your hf system that leads you to seek a conditioner?

4. Duane H

Duane H Agent

Thanks, guys. Any others?

5. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Ill second the vote for a Panamax unit.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

However, it must not have power limiting if you are going to use it with separate amps.
    It's very hard to find low-cost, true 20 amp capable surge/line filtration that will accept beefy amps that demand a heck of a lot of juice from the outlet for the best sound and dynamic headroom.
    Tice and PS Audio are two companies off the top of my head that make these kinds of products, but they aren't exactly cheap either.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

7. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Cheapest and most effective way to isolate components is to run dedicated ac lines. By physically separating the digital and analog components from each other, you may not need to have to purchase an expensive power conditioner. Course, there is a couple of downsides:
    1) If you don't own your residence, you may not want to invest in new plugs (unless its relatively easy to do it yourself)
    2) If you move, unlike a power conditioner with isolation transformers, you can't take this investment with you
    I have 3 dedicated ac lines (one for my amp, one for my TV, VHS, and Pre/Pro, and one for my digital components. I use very entry level powewr surge protectors for the lower current components and plug my high current amp directly into the ac outlet. Since running the ac lines (I did it myselft for $60 in ac cable), there were huge improvements: Lower noise floor, better imaging, dynamics and bass.
    Elbert

8. Dave N.

Dave N. Stunt Coordinator