$700 for speakers. Advice, please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Nolfe, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Tony Nolfe

Tony Nolfe Auditioning

OK, my brother THINKS I know something about HT. Of course, a smart man simply knows where to get good info. For HT I come here! Hey, if they think I know all of this stuff... so be it! [​IMG]
    My brother has a large screen TV (Toshiba, I think), Sony STR-DE675 reciever and Sony DVD player and wants me to spec speakers for him for around $700. He has said that he NEEDS (as in his wife has demanded) white, sat sized rears as they will be wall mounted, and bookshelf sized fronts with a center and sub, of course.
    I have Klipsch Quintets, and he likes those asthetically. Incorporating them, or something close as rears, could someone help me out a bit?
    Thanks much!

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

hmmm...well you can get a pair of white mirage frx-rears from fidler hifi in mobile. i think i paid about $385 or so after tax on mine. the mirage are a tad smaller than the klipsch rears last i knew of. he could probably get a pair of the frx-3 for bookshelves (they come in a nice warm cherry finish or black laminate) and the frx-center. is he looking to spend $700 all around or just for rears? i think the frx-c retails for close to $250. not sure about the frx-3's though. i would think he could prolly get a pair of the 3's, center, and rears for about $700-$800. of course, this leaves him subless but i'm sure he could later get the adire rava for $400 and he'd be set. good luck and happy hunting. a word of advice....don't send him to custom audio creations in mobile...the guy that runs that store is a dick!

kevin t

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Boston, Deftech, and Nht (the SuperZeroes can be bought at Onecall.com pretty cheap though pretty hard to drive) make good sounding white speakers though some might be beyond this budget and the Sony's ability to drive them. If you can do inwalls for the rears, then my advice for a sub is to install an IB (just check out the links in the Advanced Diy section of this site) style sub so he can definitely get the most bang for the buck performance.

4. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

Athena speakers also fall into that range and they sound pretty good for a low cost speaker set. If you have a Video Only nearby you can go listen to them. It's the .5 series that falls under $700.

Paradigm Cinima series isn't that bad either but that might be pushing the price range.