$700 AV Receiver- What to buy?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisFR, Feb 22, 2004.

1. ChrisFR

ChrisFR Extra

I am looking for an AV receiver(preferably 7.1) in the $700 range.

Mainly for HT. My wish list is for good sound quality, excellent connectivity , a good remote and possibly the ability to upgrade.

Does any make/model stand out in this price range?

Any and all suggetsions much appreciated

2. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Few ideas:

Denon 2803/3803
    Onkyo 701/801
    Harman Kardon 330/430
    Yamaha 1400/2400

I think you may be able to fit the higher model numbers listed into your budget with a little internet hunting, especially if you're willing to go with a refurb.

3. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Check out the deal on the Harmon Kardon AVR-7200 at Fry's and Outpost for $799.
    They will sell out fast.
    Edit:
    I also see it Qualifies for free ground shipping.

4. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Yeah, that 7200 is a very good deal, didn't include it in my list because it seemed to be more "in the $800 range." If you can swing the extra $ it would be the best bet IMHO.

5. Davey_T

Davey_T Stunt Coordinator

Please tell me if anyone thinks I'm trying to hijack this thread, and I'll apologize in advance if that's the case. I THINK these questions are on-topic, since I am also looking for a new receiver ~$700.

I'm thinking about the 7200 because it's such a great deal. The problem is--is it such a great deal because it doesn't support Pro Logic IIx? And is it not upgradable?

I see that the 7300 supports IIx.

I like the thought of getting a kick-butt receiver for 800 bucks, but I'm in the process of building a 7.1 HT and don't want to limit my 5.1 material from achieving its true potential! [​IMG]

Is IIx worth it for a 7.1 speaker setup? Should I opt for one of the different models listed? Or should I not pass up the 7200.

Daveone

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

While the 7200 does not support IIx it does have Logic 7. I have not compared these two, and the IIx may be better seeing as how it is newer, but you will still be able to "upgrade" 2-channel sources to 7.1 using the Logic 7. I think in that price range it is unbeatable right now.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Well, that means you can scratch the Denon receivers off the list because their remote controls have to be some of the most horrible remotes that I've owned. Denon receivers are great, but look at replacing the remote if you want a good remote.

8. ChrisFR

ChrisFR Extra

Thanks for all the feedback.

Was wondering why there wasn't anything in the Pioneer Elite series was not on anyone's list... is there something keeping them off the reccommended lists or just didn't happen to appear?

Again, thanks all...

9. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer Elite? Probably price is the first eliminator. I found a lucky & exceptional deal on one last summer as the models were switching over to the 53s/55s - and the prices were going up. No real complaints, it's wunnerful, but I got what I got 'cause I had a hard time justifying the price bump for what I'd get from the new models. All that said, if you can find a great deal on Pioneer Elite (preferably on the 55TXi) close enough to your limit then I'd get one.

Finally, I'd say the HK7200 is rating so high for lots of reasons - it's got Logic7, it's really the HK flagship receiver (I think it lists for $1789), the power rating is real, and you can get it at OneCall for $788 less PASS, etc. discounts.

Onkyo 701 (@ $599), the 2400, 7200, 55TXi, whatever - they're all very decent gear if you can get them at your price.

10. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Chris dude,

Keep it simple bro. John David's suggestions seem right to me. I'm partial to the Denons myself and I wouldn't worry past 6.1. There is SO MUCH hype going on these days. Your needs for good sound quality and connectivity are RIGHT ON....you'll end up needing an aftermarket remote no matter what receiver you buy so don't worry about that so much.

Good luck dude,

Chester

11. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

This is why this board is soo informative. I cannot begin to tell you how big of a mistake(s) I would have made without it. You get brain-washed by advertisement about Bose, Sony, Brand-XXX, etc...etc. Yes, you spend a bit more money but the end results are staggering...even at most of our very modest budgets. I believe a lot of these "which is better" questions come from fear. Fear of being ripped off as we grow into the hobby and require better equipment as our ears and eyes become more educated.

It's like wine...you begin to experiment with $10-$20/bottle and before you know it, you are drinking $40/bottle and you are going broke doing it. Then, you take that aquired taste and knowledge and search for the diamond in the rough and when you find one, you pass that on to others who care to ask. To me at least, that's how A/V is....you require better but you can only afford so much so what's the best I can do for my budget and not grudge too much about not having the best.

Cheers and thanks to everyone who give their opinions and knowledge so freely.

12. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX is just shy of $700 shipped at etronics. It has everything in your wishlist except the ability to upgrade. I dont think its capable of that. I just got one a few weeks ago and its a great receiver.

13. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I highly recommend the Yamaha RX-V1400/RX-V2400 in your price range. These receivers are packed with tons of features and they are amazing for HT. The Cinema DSP on the Yamaha really adds to the surround sound experience, the receivers have plenty of power, and the YPAO is an added bonus!

14. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Bernie A dude,

Slightly off-topic but I highly recommend the following:

Regaleali Rosso '01 (750 ML): 87 PTS ROBERT PARKER, JR. An excellent value; the '01 Regaleali, produced from 90% Nero d'Avola and 10% Pericone has sweet, earthy, black cherry flavors with touches of pepper and lavender; long.

Ten dollars for a great bottle of wine that's very versatile
    at room temperature.....and it's multi-channel compatible [​IMG]

Dudes,

Chester

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

No and I wouldn't expect upgradability to happen for under $1,500. The rare exception I've seen was from Sony ES and Rotel.

Chris,
    Your options are as far as I can tell at the top of the heap:
    Yamaha 1400/2400
    HK 7200
    Denon 3805/2803 Although the 3805 for $700 is a reach
    Pioneer Elite 53

Then everyone else.

The HK is hard to ignore and you would need to save up another $100. If you can't look at the Denon 3805 then It would be down to the HK and the Yamaha.

16. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

things i would be looking at

nad 752/753, might be able fto find a 762 in this range
    harman 7200, 630
    marantz 7300

Rich

17. ChrisFR

ChrisFR Extra

Thanks to everyone for the advice - much appreciated.

I am able to buy the Yamaha 1400 for a good price locally and am tempted. However, another dealer I was talking to recommended holding off for the next model releases later this year for a couple of reasons....

1. The next mid-level model AV Receivers releases will commonly have three component video inputs (to handle HDTV/DVD/XBOX) as opposed to the 2 that most receivers have now

2. A lot of the next generation AV receivers will also have DVI so you can remain digital all the way.

His claim was to wait if you can.... does this make sense?

Thanks again.

18. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Another member posted this in one of the other forums.
    http://www.saturdayaudio.com/
    You can get the NAD T752 for $699, normally $899.

Go to the 'DEALS' page.

19. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

I have seen the H/K7200 a couple of places for $800 which implies they are discontinuing it. Any idea how long I will be able to get it at that price? I am out of work until the beginning of March, and then I need to save for it which will take a couple of months. But, I can push it if REALLY necessary. Should I wait until the pocketbook is a little more ready for this?

20. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Justin,

It's kind of hard to tell how much longer it will be around - or, how much lower the price could go. When I purchased mine @ $1,000, I thought that was an excellent price - and, never thought it would go down to $800.

Even if you miss the new models @ $800, you should not have any problems getting a used one at a good price - given the pace that people usually upgrade their receivers. [​IMG]