7 WORLDS COLLIDE: Neil Finn/Pearl Jam/Radiohead/The Smiths/Lisa Germano/etc. DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Lucas, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Earlier this year, former Crowded House/Split Enz singer/songwriter Neil Finn, best known in the US for Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over" [a.k.a. "The hey now, hey now" song], held a series of concerts in his homeland of New Zealand. The thing about these shows that might interest those who aren't Finn fans already is Finn's back-up band and special guests for the concert. Finn invited a few friends to sit in, and my, what friends they are:
    Eddie Vedder (vocals) Pearl Jam
    Ed O'Brien (guitar,vocals) Radiohead
    Phil Selway (drums) Radiohead
    Johnny Marr (guitar) The Smiths
    Sebastian Steinberg (bass) Soul Coughing
    Lisa Germano (vocals, piano, violin) singer songwriter
    Tim Finn (vocals)Crowded House/Split Enz
    This amazing band got together, rehearsed furiously for a short period of time, played a handful of shows and broke up!
    The set list included songs from Neil Finn's two wonderful solo albums, Crowded House classics and many surprises. These included a few songs by the Finn Brothers, including a previously unreleased song, "Edible Flowers." During one portion of the show, Eddie Vedder took the stage with New Zealand band Betchadupa [featuring Neil Finn's teenage son on guitar] backing him up on several Split Enz classics. [Vedder is a HUGE Split Enz fan.] With Neil Finn on vocals, Johnny Marr led the all-star band through a GREAT version of The Smiths' classic, "There is a Light That Never Goes Out."
    According to Finn's website, a new DVD drawing from a couple of these shows will be released soon, maybe next month, along with a CD soundtrack. Finn's website lists the following track listing for the CD release [almost all songs feature the entire all-star band, but I've noted who originally recorded each song as well]. Presumably, the DVD will include the same songs, with [hopefully] a few extras:
    Anytime [NFinn solo track]
    Take A Walk [Split Enz song]
    The Climber [NFinn solo track]
    Loose Tongue [NFinn solo track]
    Down On The Corner [JMarr solo track]
    There Is A Light That Never Goes Out [Smiths song]
    Paper Doll [Lisa Germano solo track]
    Turn and Run [NFinn solo track]
    Angels Heap [Finn Bros track]
    Edible Flowers [unreleased Finn Bros track]
    Stuff and Nonsense [Split Enz song]
    I See Red [Split Enz song]
    She Will Have Her Way [NFinn solo track]
    Parting Ways
    Weather With You [Crowded House track]
    Paradise ( wherever you are ) [Finn Bros track]
    Don't dream it's Over [Crowded House track]
    This is listed as a TENTATIVE set list, so it might change.
    This is, of course, wonderful news for Finn fans, as well as for fans of the other artists participating. The catch for fans in the US is that there is no mention of whether the DVD will be a Region 1 release or not.
    This same information is available on Finn's website: http://frenz.com/neilfinn/news.html
    Regards,
    mattl

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Sounds good Matt. I am a huge fan of Split Enz/Crowded House/Tim and Neil Finn. You may be interested in the DVD "Sessions at West 54th Street" by Neil Finn. It is a fantastic recording. Also the new CD's by Neil (One Nil) and Tim (Feeding the Gods) are very good as well. Also, I got a double CD by Split Enz called "Beyond the Enz" and it has a couple of these performances (with Eddie at least) on that disc. It is a GREAT disc that contains solo/project stuff from Split Enz members.

3. Matt Lucas

You're right, Charles, those are all excellent releases. I mentioned the Sessions DVD on this forum quite a while back, but it's good to see it brought up again. The audio is excellent on that release. The performance is low key and wonderful, particularly for fans of classic pop music [Squeeze, Beatles, Elvis Costello, etc.] If you haven't checked out Neil Finn and you like these artists, then you SHOULD!
    You mentioned the Beyond the Enz CDs---the tracks you refer to are NOT the same ones on the upcoming 7 Worlds Collide live album. The BTE tracks were recorded years ago, whereas the 7WC shows took place earlier this year.
    FYI---Neil's most recent solo album, ONE NIL, will finally get a US release sometime soon. Neil is currently in his home studio working on a few new songs to add to the US version [it's been out in Australia and the UK for several months]. The album is quite good, and it gets even better with repeated listens. It features guest spots by Sheryl Crow and Wendy & Lisa, formerly of Prince's Revolution. But the vision is all Neil Finn.
    FYI2---The Finn Bros. cover "Too Many People" on the new McCartney tribute album released this week. It also includes tracks by Semisonic, World Party, SR-71, members of Barenaked Ladies and many more.
    Finally, I did some more checking, and found conflicting release dates for the 7 Worlds Collide CD on Neil's Australian EMI Records site---Dec. 11 and Nov. 12. No mention of the DVD, though. You can find the EMI site here:
    http://www.emimusic.com.au/artist.asp?artistid=70
    You can listen to audio clips from one of the 7 Worlds Collide shows at this address:
    http://members.tripod.co.uk/neilfinn...dio/audio.html
    This project was actually mentioned as a DVD release on the Neil Finn mailing list before the audio CD was mentioned. Hopefully, the DVD will be released at roughly the same time.
    Legendary mixer Bob Clearmountain posted the following on his website:
    Neil Finn (Crowded House, Split Enz) asked Bob to do a few "radio" single mixes of tunes from his recent, Tchad Blake-produced LP, during which Neil asked Bob if he knew anyone who could mix a live show in "5.1 surround" on a limited budget. He replied, "Yeah, me." So, being the massive Neil Finn fan that he is, he mixed 27 tunes from an all-star show recorded by Sam Gibson in Aukland that includes Eddie Vedder, Lisa Germano, Johnny Marr, Ed O'brien (Radiohead), and Betchadupa (Neil's son, Liam Finn's amazing band) among other brilliant artists. Look for it soon on DVD & VHS.
    http://www.mixthis.com/guestframe2.html
    mattl
    [Edited last by Matt Lucas on October 10, 2001 at 03:57 PM]

4. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Thanks Matt. Thanks for getting me all worked up but leaving me frustrated. [​IMG] I can now add a new Neil Finn CD to the list of things I really want but cannot buy because there is a better version coming soon. I'm very close to picking up the import CD, but an American release with extra tracks would be better AND cheaper. Must... resist... buying... the... import!
    I'd love to get a copy of that concert on DVD. Your posting about it here is much appreciated.
    Brad

5. Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan Stunt Coordinator

This is great news, I love Neil Finn, and Crowded House, and Split Enz. Looking forward to it.
    Derek

6. James Waddell

James Waddell Auditioning

Neil Finn is one my favourite artists so I'll definitely be picking this one up when it's released. [​IMG]

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Stunt Coordinator

As someone who resides in the land of the Finns I missed out on these gigs but they did get a bit of local coverage. I look forward to the upcoming DVD/CD releases. On a side note, I caught Pearl Jam in Auckland on their Vitalogy tour maybe 6 years ago and for an encore Eddie Vedder told the crowd how much a fan he was of Split Enz growing up, and then he brings out both Neil and Tim Finn!. Next thing they're doing a medley of Enz but the only one I can remember is 'I Got You'. The crowd goes wild. Next day Eddie and Tim go surfing and Eddie gets rescued by the local lifesavers as he gets caught in a rip... Ah the memories...
    Johnny B.

8. Charles Gurganus

Thanks for all the details Matt. I was thinking the songs from BTE were older than the ones you were talking about, thats why I brought it up (thought you'd know, thanks).
    I couldn't wait on the One Nil release so I got it almost as soon as it came out. I had heard it probably wouldn't be released domistically.
    I have had the Austrailian import box set called "Rear Enz" on backorder for about a month now. I have most of whats contained (except for the last disc that has a lot of B side/alternate takes etc) but heard the audio quality was much better than the domestic versions. Can you shed any light on this? Can it still be found and is it worth it?

9. Fred Galpern

Fred Galpern Agent

For anybody who is interested the song Parting Ways listed above as part of this cd/dvd is a pearl jam tune from their album Binaural. Great CD by the way. It is almost required that one listen to this cd with headphones. I wish that Sony would release some Pearl Jam music in DD 5.1.
    I can't wait for this Finn DVD!!!
    ------------------
    Fred Galpern
    Art Director
    http://www.galpern.net

10. Matt Lucas

Hey, it's great to see that there are at least 6 Finn fans on the forum. You'll all be interested to hear that very early work has begun on a Crowded House DVD. According to a guy who does publicity for Neil Finn [and also runs the Frenz of the Enz fan club], they've started working on the disc. However, no information has been released about the contents. Certainly, there are lots of options---an update of the band's videos ["I Like to Watch,' a VHS release, featured videos through the Woodface album, but was not released in the US], concert footage [the band was AMAZING live, and their Farewell to the World final show was also
    released on VHS], or rare footage. All these things have been mentioned as possibilities, but I don't think anything definite has been released in terms of information on what WILL be on the DVD.
    Just the fact that it's being considered is good enough for me! One more thing---the DVD will supposedly be encoded so that it can be viewed regardless of what country you're in. I'm not informed on the technical side of things, so I'm not sure if that's even possible, but it HAS been mentioned. If it's possible, it's good news for fans in the US.
    Regarding your Enz question, Charles---There are actually 2 Enz box sets---one from their early days that focuses on when Phil Judd was in the band, and the second one that you've asked about. I've had the second one, covering the later era, for several years, and I love it. I have to admit, the Enz aren't a band I listen to every day, but when I'm in the mood, I really enjoy that box. The remasters of the albums are excellent---they've never sounded this good. The bonus disc, titled Rear Enz, includes a number of singles, b-sides and rarities. Among these is the EXCELLENT "Serge," one of Neil's masterpieces. He played it once or twice during the Crowded House era, but it's one of the Enz's lesser-known classics. There are also a couple of demos that are interesting to hear because they contain parts of songs that turned up in later tunes, including a song on the first Crowded House album. It's cool to hear how Neil pulled the best part of these early demos and reworked it into a better tune later.
    If you're a serious Enz fan, I recommend getting the boxed set. If you like them, but can settle on hearing highlights of their songbook, then I recommend getting Spellbound.
    Have you heard Spellbound? It's a 2-disc Enz best-of that was released a year or two ago. The tracks were remastered again [since the boxed set] for this collection, and the sound is even better than the boxed set. There are I think 2 or 3 rare or remixed songs on that collection, but I find myself listening to it more than the boxed set because Spellbound generally has most of my favorite Enz songs in one collection. Plus, it has both Judd and Neil songs in one spot. Phil Judd was pretty much a freak, but he wrote amazing songs. [I guess he still does, though he's not as active as he once was.] His music was more arty than Neil's, which explains why many Enz fans are split [!] about which era was better, the Judd era or the Neil era. Hey,
    they're both great for different reasons!
    I've bought Finn items from netCD and from Whammo, both of which are located in Austr/New Zealand. Thus, the exchange rate really works in your favor and it takes the bite out of import prices.
    http://netcd.co.nz/ http://www.whammo.com.au/
    I hope this helps your decision!
    mattl

11. Charles Gurganus

Matt, sounds like you are as big a fan as I am. I knew about the earlier box set but, in general, I prefer the later stuff. I DO have most of the earlier LP's (just found Mental Notes and Dizrhythmia for 98 cents each in M- shape) in great shape. I may take your advice and just get Spellbound (I almost did that anyway) since Rear Enz is hard to find AND the Spellbound CD is a better remastered version. That may put it over the top for me.
    These are my favorite Finn related records......
    "Time and Tide"--Split Enz
    "Woodface" and "Temple of Low Men"-Crowded House
    "One Nil"-Neil Finn
    "Before and After"-Tim Finn

12. Matt Lucas

I've got more news---Neil Finn's fan club poobah has posted a track listing for the video/DVD release of the 7 Worlds Collide concert release. Here it is [Most of the songs duplicate those on the audio CD release track list, which was in my original message on this thread. I've marked the new video-only tracks with an asterisk]:
    Fall at your feet* [Crowded House song]
    Any time
    Hole in the ice* [NFinn solo song]
    Paper Doll
    The Climber
    Take A walk
    Last To Know* [NFinn solo song]
    Down on the corner
    There is a light
    Private Universe* [Crowded House song]
    Parting ways
    Driving Me Mad* [NFinn solo song]
    Turn & Run
    Loose Tongue
    She Will Have her way
    Angels Heap
    Edible Flowers
    Stuff and Nonsense
    Four Seasons in 1 day* [Crowded House song]
    Suffer Never* [Finn Bros. song]
    Cry Wolf* [???]
    History Never repeats* [Split Enz song]
    I see Red
    Weather With You
    Don't dream its over
    Curiously, Paradise (Wherever You Are) is listed on the audio CD track listing, but not on the video track listing. Also interesting is the fact that some songs were left off completely. I remember reading that at least one other Pearl Jam song was performed by Eddie Vedder [I believe it was "Betterman," but I'm not sure.] They also played another song by The Smiths---the classic "How Soon is Now." It's just tragic that this song was left off the DVD.
    Still no word about whether the DVD will be zone-free or not. Again, does anyone here know whether that's even possible for an Australian DVD release?
    mattl

13. Steven F

Steven F Auditioning

Matt, you've made my week. Thank you for posting the news about this dvd/cd. I hadn't heard about it (guess I'm not up on my Neil Finn news) but Neil is my all time favorite singer.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for a region 1 release, but this is one disc that would make me go out and find a region free player!
    thanks again!

14. Matt Lucas

Bad news for USA/Canada fans who were looking forward to getting the 7 WORLDS COLLIDE DVD...I received an email yesterday from Whammo, an Australian music shop, that specifically states that 7WC is a Region 4 DVD [PAL format] release. You can see Whammo's site here:
    http://www.whammo.com.au/browse.asp?SectionID=148
    I've ordered from them before and never had a problem. For those who have multi-zone DVD players, you're in luck! The exchange rate is usually pretty favorable for those ordering from the US. [Whammo's site lists the 7WC audio CD, for example, at $12.63US, which is an amazing price for an import].
    Finn's fan club guru recently mentioned that the DVD/VHS *MAY* see a North American release sometime next year. Since they've already announced that Neil's latest album, One Nil, will finally get a US release next year [including some new tracks], the DVD/VHS release of 7WC may tie into the One Nil release in some way. [However, this last bit is purely speculation on my part. Since there is no firm US release date for 7WC, it might not be released here at all.]
    According to the Neil Finn website's news column, the 7WC Australian release date for CD/DVD/VHS is November 19th. The UK date is still November 26th.
    http://www.frenz.com/neilfinn/news.html
    EMI Australia's site says
    http://www.emi.com.au/artist_release...productid=3240
    Also, FYI to you Finn fans out there---last year, Neil held a couple of webcasts from his home studio in New Zealand, and he's apparently planning another to take place sometime soon. I don't have the bandwidth to see them, but I've heard from others that they can be pretty cool. They're usually presented on Neil's personal site [as opposed to the 'unofficial-official' site listed above, which focuses more on general publicity, news, etc.]:
    http://www.nilfun.net/
    Nilfun is mostly bells and whistles and can be both a wonderful journey and a confusing mess, depending on how you respond to such things. Check it out, either way. Note: It hasn't been updated in a while, but there are still lots of cool bits to see representing all stages of Neil's career, from Split Enz to Crowded House to his current solo music.
    mattl
    [Edited last by Matt Lucas on October 23, 2001 at 10:24 AM]