What's new

7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964)

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Title: 7 Faces of Dr. Lao

Tagline: Bolt the doors! Lock the windows! Dr. Lao's coming to town!

Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Western

Director: George Pal

Cast: Tony Randall, John Ericson, Barbara Eden, Kevin Tate, Arthur O'Connell, Noah Beery Jr., Argentina Brunetti, Royal Dano, John Doucette, Frank Cady, Lee Patrick, Minerva Urecal, John Qualen, Frank Kreig, Peggy Rea, Eddie Little Sky, Dal McKennon, Chubby Johnson, Douglas Fowley

Release: 1964-03-18

Runtime: 100

Plot: An old Chinese man rides into the town of Abalone, Arizona and changes it forever, as the citizens see themselves reflected in the mirror of Lao's mysterious circus of mythical beasts.

Does anyone remember this wonderful and remarkable film from Fantasy creator George Pal? Made in the early seventies and starring Tony Randall, who played six or seven parts with the help of make-up master William Tuttle, it's one of my all-time fantasy favorites. And, I'm just wondering why this film has never had a Blue Ray release. It would certainly be deserving of one, don't you think?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There are several of us who are huge fans of this film. I saw it as a young teen in the theater and was enchanted by it. Went out afterward to buy the soundtrack album since I loved the theme music so much only to find MGM didn't issue one. Had to wait many decades to get a soundtrack on CD. The DVD and TCM broadcasts are very poor quality SD with lots of video artifacts. The movie would need a lot of love and care to be released by Warners in their Archive series. And politically correct mavens would be out for blood with Randall's Chinese casting.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m ashamed to say I’ve only seen this once when I was going through a multi-week marathon of all of Pal’s films several years ago. I remember really digging it though. Tony Randall was amazing. I’ll have to give it a watch again soon. (Also found Doc Savage to be a super fun guilty pleasure as well!)

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
This is a wonderful movie, Tony Randall is outstanding. I agree with Matt’s comment regarding the politically correct police and Tony Randall’s casting. I prefer to view his casting as of the period in which the film was made.
I remember a WAC podcast of a year or two ago which gave no indication of a Blu becoming available.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
LOVE this film! A great memory from my childhood. I just wish it would get a decent HD release.
It looks like I may have to buy the Warner Archive DVD during the next/last WBShop 4/$44.00 sale
1615351837408.png

As memory serves the Original DVD was a flipper-disc Full-screen on one side WIDESCREEN on the other ...

1615352173193.png

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Does anyone remember this wonderful and remarkable film from Fantasy creator George Pal? Made in the early seventies and starring Tony Randall, who played six or seven parts with the help of make-up master William Tuttle, it's one of my all-time fantasy favorites. And, I'm just wondering why this film has never had a Blue Ray release. It would certainly be deserving of one, don't you think?

Used to have the widescreen laserdisc which, if I recall, actually looked very nice for that time.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
This is another case where "taste committees" need to look beyond casting towards the message of the film. Through Dr. Lao's wise insight, many foolish, shallow and greedy people in the town of Abalone are able to see themselves and each other with better insight.
The character of Dr. Lao like Uncle Remus in the misunderstood "Song of the South" are adult male role models that I looked at with awe as a child, hoping to find real world counterparts. They both have a deep understanding for what kids need most in childhood. Color or race never entered my mind, only that they were both wonderful caring people that I wished to know.
A BR upgrade of this classic would be fantastic, and as mentioned earlier, the score is magical.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Actually, it was released in 1964 and won a special Oscar for makeup master William Tuttle.
Matt: I stand corrected on the date of release. Perhaps I should have said "back in the day." I remember that I was in my first year of college when I first saw it. I was definitely enchanted and such a wonderful cast of characters made the experience even richer. I pulled out my DVD and noted that the widescreen version is at least anamorphic and is really quite watchable. I also have the laserdisc which was released sometime in the 90s, I believe. I wonder what the criteria is for a studio to consider issuing a movie on BD, besides money, of course. I have seen a lot of crap being issued on BD, while much more deserving films just keep gathering more dust. It's just a shame. Perhaps we could ask Dr. Lao..."Citizens of Abalone, I give you Waldercan..."

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Matt: I stand corrected on the date of release. Perhaps I should have said "back in the day." I remember that I was in my first year of college when I first saw it. I was definitely enchanted and such a wonderful cast of characters made the experience even richer. I pulled out my DVD and noted that the widescreen version is at least anamorphic and is really quite watchable. I also have the laserdisc which was released sometime in the 90s, I believe. I wonder what the criteria is for a studio to consider issuing a movie on BD, besides money, of course. I have seen a lot of crap being issued on BD, while much more deserving films just keep gathering more dust. It's just a shame. Perhaps we could ask Dr. Lao..."Citizens of Abalone, I give you Waldercan..."
...or is it "Woldercan...?

Kissape64

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
New member here! I saw this thread last week, and you know... I agree, it would be a shame for a film like this to disappear. I ordered a copy last week, and it arrived today. I have not watched this movie since I was 10-12 years of age. I am 56 now. I hope I love it now as much as I did then.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
New member here! I saw this thread last week, and you know... I agree, it would be a shame for a film like this to disappear. I ordered a copy last week, and it arrived today. I have not watched this movie since I was 10-12 years of age. I am 56 now. I hope I love it now as much as I did then.
Welcome to Home Theater Forum. We're a convivial bunch here and you're sure to find folks with similar interests and tastes to yours in movies, etc.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks