7-channel stereo info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guyza, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Guyza

Guyza Stunt Coordinator

When running a receiver in 7-channel stereo musci mode, does the amount of music sent to the side and rear channels typically overtax the standard dipole/quadpole surround speakers?

Or is the amount of info sent through these channels minimal like a DVD surround channel may send back there?

I'm asking because I'm curious as to the effectiveness of placing surround vs. direct radiating speakers all around. My system will be 50/50 music/HT so I don't want to cripple myself necessarily for one mode over the other.

If the amount of frequencies and musical content sent to the back channels is "filler" than I would guess surround speakers would suffice. If the content sent is fuller range, than probably direct radiating would be the ticket.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I am a 2ch music guy but from what I understand about multi channel music is that you need all full range direct radiating channels for multi channel music. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

3. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i use 6 chanel stereo and for the center and side srear speakers i knwo that it is full range thats being sent well actualy the center chanel is a blend not as full as the otehr chanels i dont know much about the center back i really dont have one hooked up

4. Tom Lee

Tom Lee Agent

Yes, if you prefer listening to music, Direct Radiating is the only way to go.