7 channel receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray M Y, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Ray M Y

Ray M Y Auditioning

Hi everyone. I'm new to HT, but I'm interested in getting 7.1 system. What receiver should I get? I don't have an exact budget, but I don't want anything too expensive. I've heard of brands like Onkyo, Denon, HK, Pioneer... etc. I don't think I want to jump right into having a separate amplifier just yet... so I need the receiver to directly power my speakers (hopefully Axiom M3's). The HK AVR8000 looks really nice with the logic 7, but it only has 5 channels of amplification [​IMG] ... how does it compare with the Pioneer VSX-47TX, Onkyo TXDS-898, and others?
    Ray

2. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

"but I don't want anything too expensive".
    take a look at the denon 3802. it has 7 channels of amplification and pre-outs for 7.1. it has a wide screen mode that takes advantage of 7.1 using dolby pro logic,dd,dts 5.1-channel signals.
    i'm using this receiver as a pre-pro with 7 monoblocks and i'm quite impressed with the wide screen mode.
    good luck

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

3802, 898!!! Depends on your budget. Both are great rcvrs with very few DOA's and defects. UBID has got JBL 28's for $19 plus $24 freight. These are excellent little bookshelf speakers that easily sell for $100 each. If you have space limitations the AR 2062 can be had for $19($100 retail)(outstanding small speaker). Then all you would need is a quality sub.
    The HK 520 is about as low as I would go for a 5.1 rcvr.
    3802=$800 from a real dealer
    898= $1100
    Good luck! There are a lot of fine people on this forum that will help you out! Not a bad one in the bunch.[​IMG]

4. Eric_Lakes

Eric_Lakes Agent

Ray,

There are no "TRUE" 7.1 sources out there. Lexicon (HK) matrixes 5.1 into 7.1 with their Logic7. The other manafactures also matrixes the orginal source to 7.1. To buy a product with 7.1 now is just a waste of money since you have no decoder for it. The Denon 3802 has 7 channels of amplification but only a 6.1 decoder. (The 6 & 7 channels have the same signal) IF they do come out with a 7.1 source and 7.1 decoder, you probably couldnt get an external 7.1 decoder to plug into your 7.1 ready system. (Try to find and external 6.1 decoder). Buy what is available today, with HT there is no such thing as future proof, because if you are willing to spend the $ for top-of-the-line today, you will most likely upgrade again tommorrow.

5. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    You may want to give a look at the JVC RXDP-10V. It is their flagship model and an attempt by JVC to get back to a quality high-end receiver model. MSRP I believe is around $1600 but lately I've seen it going as low as $900 or so. Try www.6ave.com

6. Ray M Y

Ray M Y Auditioning

Thanks for the replies everyone! Laurence, I haven't heard much of the JVC... are there any good reviews of it? Eric, I know there isn't a discrete 7.1 format out yet, but what is the best matrixed process to get 7 channels? (I'll probably be using the system more for music than movies) I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Logic 7, but how does that compare to Denon's widescreen mode and other matrix algorithms, like from Onkyo and Pioneer?
    Also, I wouldn't have a problem driving the Axioms with any of these models, right?

7. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

It's a solid rcvr with large amps. If you can get it for $900 to $928, it should be on your short list. Ditto on 6th ave.

8. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

hey ray
    now that you mention you would use the receiver more for music than movies, i will add that the 3802 has 7 channel stereo which really fills a room. [​IMG]
    good luck

9. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

The Denon avr-3802/1082 would be a great choice. Keep in mind there are NO 7.1 sources!! Meaning you simply cannot buy a dvd that has 8 discrete channels of info. Basically if the receiver offers 7.1 its some type of proprietary dsp. It is enjoyable but I have learned that 6.1 on my denon sounds 10 times more accurate than 7.1 Good luck[​IMG]