What's new

7 Channel Calibration... How? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I hope this hasn't been covered, because the search function is "temporarily unavailable", but... How shall I calibrate my 7-ch set up once I have it?
I'll be using my 4800 as a pre/pro, and I own VE, but I don't think it is set up for DD EX. Should I just use the receivers test tones for the back channel?
Maybe I answered my own question while thinking out loud (I have one of them clicky IBM keyboards), but if there's a better idea, let's hear it!
Thanks.

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
Thats exactly what I did for my nine speaker setup (extra pair of back surrounds for DVD-A) with the 4800, used the test tones. Once I had the reference level established, I put in my VE, as you correctly pointed out is only 5.1, and set the speaker channel levels for the 5 "normal" speakers on the DVD player till they matched the 4800's reference level volumes.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Alternately, you could try to use the THX Optimode on any disc with THX-EX or DTS-ES encoded on the DVD. Toy Story 2 (at least in the Ultimate Toy Box) T2:UE are a couple that come to mind.
One thing about using test tones from the receiver, if you are using two speakers for the rear center channel and the tones come out of the rears one at a time, you'll have to turn down each speaker 3db as both will have the same information for a THX-EX or DTS-ES encoded disc.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I was going to suggest Optimode too. I've got the regular Toy Story 2-pack (TS1 and TS2) and Optimode is included. It's also on Titan AE, I think.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The problem with using the THX Optimode A/V tests is that they are to calibrate to that one particular movie, not as a global reference standard.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks