7 channel amps and Pre-Pro Units: models and prices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antoine Peltier, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Antoine Peltier

I'm interested in acquiring a 7.1 pre-pro unit and a seperate 7 channel amp.

Could anyone suggest some existing and upcoming models of both products, along with prices and pros and cons?

I'm interested in the Outlaw 950 + 770 but am open to all other suggestions!

Thanks

2. Antoine Peltier

Another thing, I don't need something enormous, I'm buying a new appartment that's only 535 square feet...

3. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

You know that by their nature, pre/pro/power setups are large. The 770 sure looks beastly.

The only complete 7.1 setup I can think of is Onkyo's RDC7 and 7 channel amp setup although it's in another league to the Outlaw.

If you want small you can do that but it'll cost - the McLaren AVR32 setup is very compact for a pre/pro/power.

T.

4. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
  5. Antoine Peltier

6. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

McIntosh's just-released (now shipping to dealers) MX-134 preamp-processor ($7000 U.S.) is a 7.1 unit (i.e., the latest DD, DTS, DPL-II back-surround circuitry with THX processing) with separate analog 7.1 inputs containing full bass management (it splits this analog input into two parts: full analog bypass plus digital low-pass for bass management). Their website (mcintoshlabs.com) has some preliminary info available--it's listed under "Support: Manuals and Software" at the top of the homepage.

Have a nice weekend!

7. Michael D

Michael D Stunt Coordinator

Antoine,

As far as I know, there are no Tag McLaren dealers in Canada yet. The current unit does not have 5 channel analog passthrough but will be updated in the future. For more info, you can visit the TAG website and find out the specs for the new AVR192 (I think that is what it will be called).