7 channel A/B switch

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jared D, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Jared D

Jared D Auditioning

i would like to know how to power a set of 7 speakers with one of two amps. one amp is the pioneer 56txi receiver (110x7), the other is a similar model. maybe i could just run two sets of speaker wire to each speaker. i think i heard that thats a bad idea though. because if both receivers were on at the same time for some stupid reason, things would get damaged. maybe what i need is a 7 channel A/B switch. preferably IR controllable. i looked at xantech and speakercraft. i dont think that either company has what im looking for...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jared

2. Patrick D

Patrick D Stunt Coordinator

Run the test in stereo? One trick is to have your left channel(s) off one amp, the right channel(s) off the other, and use a balance control to go back and forth.

If you did run 2 sets of cable, I'd get an A/B switch for a coaxial digital out from a DVD player, so you have an enforced pause while 1 amp stops playing and the other syncs to the digital signal. It's easier to switch, too.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You might check Niles Audio and Russound, but I seriously doubt it exists. The demand any such a device is certainly close to zero. You’ll have to be content with multiple A/B switches. Even that could be risky, because they can do A and B together – in other words, both amps to one speaker.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jared D

Jared D Auditioning

niles has a 2ch ab. i dont think it does a and b. good point tho, that would be bad in this case. the niles are trigger controlled (perfect, they need to be activated by an infocus pj) and you can daisy chain the trigger as long as it has the right power (100 mA per unit, ill need 5 = 500) niles has a unit that takes in a trigger and puts out a 600 mA trigger (perfect). prob now is infocus 7210 has two triggers, and we already need two (one for power blackout shade, one for power screen). hopefully can split one trigger and use it for both screens, the other will control all five ab switches. i think this is going to work!

wait till you here thius: theres really only one amp, and two sets of wires coming from each output into the a's and b's. on the switches. when on a, each speaker will get a certain signal. b will give each speaker a signal that is one to the left of normal. why? b/c theres an rptv just to the left of the pj screen that needs the center on top of it and so on and so forth. get it?

5. Jared D

Jared D Auditioning

thanks for the help guys

jared

p.s. i nned a sub for the 7 kef 200.2qt's that are gonna be powered by the pionner 56txi. im looking at hsu's best vs sws pc-plus models. more than willing to pay the extra couple hundred for the sws if its worth it.