Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_Lawrance, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

Hello
    I have a avr 520, how would you hook up the 520 to an older Technics recieiver to give me the 7.1 sound. Which inpput should i use,
    The CD input will all ready be in use, so i was thinking of the DVD or tape inputs,
    Also, for the two speakers in the back, would it be ok to use center speakres as the two in the back, and would the sound be ok if i hang the speakers from the ceiling.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
    Bob[​IMG]

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

3. Bob_Lawrance

Hi Kevin

Which link in that link should i us?

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Bob, Looks like Derek's page no longer helps the DIY EX setups too much. So the answer to your question is any input other than the Phono will work. But Im not sure what your doing with the CD input? If you had a CD player hooked up to this input all your Front stage sound will be coming out of your rear speakers if you are in fact hooking the new EX channel up correctly.

You can use Center speakers but I would recommend matching your L/R Surround speakers.

You can mount the EX channel where you want, but I would keep them directly behind the main seating and try to keep them at the same level as the L/R Surrounds.

Remember to hook the Surround L/R preamp out of your DD/DTS receiver to the inputs of the Dolby Prologic receiver and let the DPL receiver's front channels do all the processing of your new 3 surround channels!

Wes

5. Bob_Lawrance

Thanks Wes
    I am using the cd input for my cd player so i can send the cd signal to another room.
    Yes the speakers will be behind the seating area, i am ok about that,
    So it doesn't sound like you like the idea off using center speakers for the extra channels. So would bookshelf speakers be better.
    What i am trying to do is use the old receiver to run 7.1 speakers and send information to another room, so i am going to use the b speakers for the other room, and the a speakers for the 7.1.
    Thanks for the suggestions
    Please for thoughts and suggestions would be great.
    PS. i hope i am explaining myself properly.
    [​IMG]