7.1???

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MikeJason, Aug 10, 2004.

1. MikeJason

MikeJason Agent

I have an old 5.1 Pro Logic receiver and am looking for a new one and just noticed a 7.1 receiver in an ad? Where does the extra speaker go? Are dvds currently encoded to take advantage of this?

Thanks!

2. KenKusan

KenKusan Extra

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

In 7.1 the speakers are placed on the rear wall behind the listening position. It is a matrixed systems only (the signals going to the speakers are derived in the receiver and are not discrete signals).

For 6.1 there has been only a few movies done discrete 6.1 .

4. MikeJason

MikeJason Agent

I originally purchased 5 satellite speakers and a powered sub. I do not think that I will be able to buy additional speakers of the same make for a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

1.)Would it make much of a difference to add different kinds(brand and model) of speakers then what I am currently using to setup a 6.1 or 7.1 setup?

2.) What should I even look for to match the quality of the sound?

3.) Should I not even be worrying about this now since there are not many dvds encoded for 6.1?

5. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Mike

1) Since they are rear surrounds it will not make that much difference if the speakers are different from the rest (unless the efficiency is horribly different)

2) See above

3) Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Get whichever receiver you think gives you the most features and value for your money. If you don't use the outputs for the 6.1 or 7.1 speakers it's no big deal. If you decide to add speakers later you are set.

6. John S

John S Producer

A fair amount of people will duplicate their center channel speaker for a rear surround in a 6.1 setup.

7. MikeJason

MikeJason Agent

1. What did you mean by "the signals going to the speakers are derived in the receiver and are not discrete signals."
    What does this mean?

2. When movies are filmed are they encoded for 6.1 or is this something that has to happen during the transfer to DVD? If they are encoded, why are there not more of them on DVD?

3. How do you duplicate your center channel speaker for a rear surround in a 6.1 setup? Why would you duplicate it? Not sure if I understood what you meant.

Thanks!!!

8. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

1) In 7.1 the signals are not mixed as individual audio tracks on the DVD. It takes the 5.1 channel info and makes it into 7.1 within the receiver - it kind of 'fakes' the other 2 speakers information. Try the dolby or dts websites for other info.

If channels exist on the source (DVD) they are refered to as discrete. If the channels are derived electronically from other channels there are refered to as matrixed.

http://www.dolby.com/Consumer/HomeEntertainment/
    http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/overview.php

2) 6.1 discrete is only now starting to come online as a consumer product, so I don't think the studios see any benefit to encode DVD's as 6.1.

3) I think John means having the same brand and model rear surround (refering to 6.1) as you have for your centre channel speaker.

9. John S

John S Producer

yes, it does seem to work well with 6.1 DTS in particular as far as staging the surround. I know two people the put the same speaker that they used on their center channel, for the rear center channel. As I said, it does seem to work well. I am one that in general likes to have the same exact speaker in all locations including the center channel. But I admit, that decent speaker manufactures, know what they are doing, and can definetly design a system, where each speaker is designed maximized for the intended use.

I just almost always seem to get an easier / smoother calibration with every speaker the exact same is all.