7.1 with 6.1 and 5.1 RECEIVERS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David D. C., Dec 30, 2001.

1. David D. C.

David D. C. Stunt Coordinator

WHAT DO WE ALL KNOW ABOUT 7.1 RECVIERSS ALL I FOUND HAS BEEN 7.1 IN ANOLOG is this the only format out in 7.1

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Was that a question?

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Well, I'm confused by your query too, but I'll give it a shot. There is no such thing as a 7.1 encoded surround track. There is actually only 5.1 encoded sound tracks that are flagged for extraction of a rear center channel. That single 6th channel of info can be sent to two speakers, but that does not make it 7.1. That would be like calling a mono signal stereo just because you send it to two speakers. How the signal is encoded, and how it is decoded are somewhat independant. (i.e. two channel stereo can be decoded to DPLII, but no signal is encoded as DPLII. As far as your referance to analog????? I guess there are processors with DSPs like Lexicon that allow you to hook up more speakers but, they are just doing their own propriatary processing and routing.

4. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Charles has it right. It is just marketing speak for people who think more is always better.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

6. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Dont worry, you have one of the most capable, high-quality receivers on the market right now. EX/ES/6.1/7.1 its all the same thing, no one is really breaking the mold here except in what they call it. I beleive some manufacturers call it 7.1 because they actually have a 7 channel amp. My yamaha, and the marantz SR-6200 I tried previously only have a 6 ch amp, however two speakers can easily be hooked up in series, and the effect is identical to 7 seperate amps.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I wouldn't hook up two in series, as that will effectively halve the output by raising the impedence for that channel. The only way I can think of to do it right is to use the rear center preamp out, split into two channels and run to a separate (or pair of) amp(s).

8. Charles J P

CJ Paul

9. David D. C.

David D. C. Stunt Coordinator

i agree to the fullest on the 7.1 track not even being out there but a lot of recievers are adding the jasks and the modes for the 7.1 this i have read and seen the old 6.1 which is the front L center Frontright ssl ssr and sub you see i bought a cleaning disc for my dvd and one of the functions os sound balance it test in 3 diff modes
    and 7.1 front L, center, Frontright, ssl, ssbackright, ssbackleft, ssr, sub, there may be no 7.1 formats but i think that we will see them soon with manufactors putting 7.1 functions on there recievers. if anyone has a star wars phantom menice dvd go to the sound testing and you will see they let you test for 8 speakers [​IMG]