7.1 viability revisited

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Merrell, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

You guys helped me a while back when I was buying new speakers for my small (11x13) HT room. I have now moved into a larger room with a projector, and I am trying to determine whether adding a pair of rear speakers would be worthwhile.
    The new room is 14'x 16', with the screen on the 16' wall.
    [​IMG]
    The seating is the planned seating. Right now it's just a pair of Poang chairs. Pictured seating put eyes at about 12' from a 92" wide screen and ears about 2' from the rear wall.
    All the speakers, less the two rears, are in place. As in the smaller room, I am limited in my placement options for the side surrounds. In this case, it is due to the window on one side. The center of speakers is ~14-16" from the rear wall. The tweeter is about 6' off the ground and aimed across at the other surround.
    I don't think direct rears would work because of the short distance between the back of the seats and the wall, but I though dipoles might. The other speakers are Diva 4.1/C3/2.1, so I figured I could pick up a pair of R3s on clearance for the rears, if this would work.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    --Mike

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I would think that your existing monopole surrounds would be awful for listeners sitting on the extreme sides.

Can you mount dipoles above the window?

3. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

Remember, the side surround in the picture are mounted about 3' above ear level, aimed over the listeners' heads. So, it's not as bad for people to the side as it could be.

I could mount a dipole surround above the window, but if it would fit, it would be flush against the ceiling. I'm not sure if that's any more favorable. I'm not against it, either. In the worst case scenario, I use R3s for both side and rear surround, and relegate the 2.1s to bookshelf music duty in another room.

I'm more curious as to whether the less direct characteristics of a pair of dipoles in the rear surround role would mitigate the short distance between the listeners and the back wall.

Thanks,

--Mike