7.1 System

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ettore_C, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Ettore_C

Ettore_C Auditioning

Hello,

I recently acquired a Denon 3802 for a REALLY good price and now am in the predicament that I haven't got the speakers to go with it (not proper anyways).

So, I am basically looking for a rather inexpensive set of mains and a center. I was looing at Paradigm's monitor series as I can get them at (almost) cost. My price range is probably around $1,000 CAD for the mains and center.

For surrounds, this is where I am actually quite lost. Since I have a 7.1 system, not a 5.1 system, should I still be using dipole surrounds? My room is currently non-optimum for HT but it will be as I am building a home of my own design.

If it is of any consequence, I hope to be getting a set of Maelstrom's (Adire) for sub duty so a main with excessive sub-capacity isn't required.

2. BrentC

BrentC Agent

If you can get 'digms at cost that is a screaming deal. You ears are the guide though so go out and listen to some speakers. As to dipole surrounds that is a matter of personal preferance really. Do you want a diffused sound field or a more pinpoint one? Personaly i lean towards having non-dipole surrounds but that is probably because I haven't heard a good set of dipoles.