7.1 System, correct rear speaker heights?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haru, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

I just got my second pair of NHT 1.5s today to complete my 7.1 system. If you don't know these speakers, its just a basic, direct radiating two way bookshelf speaker (not a dipole or bipolar)

I have the existing rears mounted on 24" stands, for approximate ear level when seated. That is what I was planning to do for the second set as well. However, all the diagrams in the receiver's (Denon 3802) manual show all the rear speakers mounted high up on walls, pointing down. I was under the impression that this was the right way to do it with dipole speakers, but not with direct radiators.

I won't be mounting on walls, but I am wondering if I shouldn't get stands atleast 36" so as to raise the speakers up, or if I should stick with the 24" height, which puts the tweeter at about ear level.

what do you guys advise?

2. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

Haru,
    I have my rears mounted up high only because my wife wouldn't allow me to move our kitchen to another part of the house so that I could put my speakers at ear level[​IMG] I think you can put them at ear level without any difficulty imho.
    Hope that helps.
    Dave

3. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

thanks, Dave.

Although I must say that I am disappointed that there has been only one response. I have hoping there would be atleast a few opinions expressed. does nobody know? How can it be that this is a speaker forum for hometheaters and only one person cares to comment on something as elemental as speaker heights?

ah well. I guess I'll have to look else where.

4. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

I believe that the reason for so few reponses is that the question is very subjective - one person likes it one way and another a different way. You need to experiment for yourself. For me personally, I have my dipoles mounted high and far away for an effective diffuse sound which I'm satified with. Some people like the speakers at ear level. There is no 'right height' for rear speakers, other than the height that sounds best for yourself.

5. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

well, you see, thats why I had hoped that people would come out and say what THEY thought was right, what worked for THEM.

I just emailed NHT to ask for their advice.

6. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I put mine behind me on either 36 or 42" stands. Can't remember, but the tallest I could find at audioadvisor.com. I have read that this is best, but also it makes sense to have them higher to get above the height of the seat. Before I got the taller stands I experimented with patio stones under my shorter stands until it sounded right. Hope that helps.

7. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

thank you Brian. can you tell me whether your speakers are dipolar or direct radiating?

8. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

direct in rear. Dipole to sides of listening position about 6 1/2 feet up from floor.

9. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

thanks!

10. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Hadn't seen this post, and since you're looking for opinions: I have direct radiators mounted high pointing down toward listening position (direct radiating) for the rears.

11. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Haru...

I would have my side/rear spks the same height as my fronts.

12. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

When I used two pair of dipole speakers for the rear, both side and rear center surrounds were mounted about 61/2 feet from the floor. I just upgraded to AXIOM QS4s which I plan to mount at the same height.

13. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the input guys. I mounted all speakers at ear height.

14. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Just wanted to second the "at-ear-level" setup as this will deliver the best soundstage not to mention seamless "pan" effects provided that your furniture is not blocking the tweater line path. IMHO and real experts agree that since DD 5.1 DTS and so on, are discrete channel formats all speakers should be treated the same so no more up in the wall rear speakers placement.
    Regards

15. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The Dolby web site still recommends the 6' placement for the rears. This has not changed since the ProLogic days.

For movies that tend to only put ambient noises to the rears, the 6' placement seems superior.

But with DVD's, many sound engineers are putting very specific sounds to one/other rear so the ear-level placement sounds better.

This is why you have not gotten more responses. There is an old-standard, and a new trend. The correct response for 1 movie, is not correct for another. No clear cut answer.

My speakers? Ear height.

16. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

Bob:
    Just curious: what type of surround speakers do you use (monopole, dipole, bipole...) and where do you place them relative to your sitting position?

17. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

18. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

For the most part any 5.1 DVD will do. Try Toy Story 2 for instance Scene 9 or 10 I think, thats when the bold guy left woody inside the glass box and walks out of the room while laughing. You can follow his path from Center to Left front to Left rear and finally to Center rear (or phantom rear in my case). With a traditional Dolby sorround placement the effect will be lost.
    Regards

19. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Interesting...

I had never given it much thought. I have always mounted my surrounds up high based on the Dolby recommendation. (They are direct radiating speakers.) I had heard that was a good compromise for providing generalized sound without totally losing directional cues.

Thinking back on my HT experiences, though, I realize that my ear is localizing the rear sounds as being up high.

Case in point, I was watching the Futurama with the Star Trek reunion (what me nerd?) and there's a scene where Captain Kirk approaches the screen from in back to take the "stage". Thanks to PLII the sound originated out of my left surround speaker and it seemed aurally like he "swooped down" to arrive on screen. Of course it should have sounded like a walk from behind at an even level. Same thing has happened other times where pan effects are concerned.

I just mounted my new surrounds (Paradigm Micros) up high, but it seems like I may need to study this situation further.

Bill S.