7.1 Surrounds - Dipole or Monopole?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary TP, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

Here's my current config:

Denon 3802
    Paradigm Monitor 11s Version 3
    CC370 Center

I am waiting on a sub and surrounds until I move into a bigger place.

The question I have is this: If I want to go with a 7.1 setup for surrounds, what is the best configuration?

4 monopoles
    4 dipoles
    1/2 and 1/2?

I will stay paradigm - so I suppose it will be adp-370, monitor 3, minimonitor, etc....

2. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

I run both.

I have VMPS 626(direct radiators)with VMPS dipoles sitting on top, on the sides and VMPS Tower II and VMPS Dipoles on top in the rear.

I have them wired so I can run either or "both" as suits the software or my taste.

You'd be suprised that I find running "both" is the best for HT. When listening to 5 channel music only the directs.

Another thing is I run the side dipoles on stands 10' away from the walls and they are awsome.

John

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I also use both I use dipolar for side and mono for rear surrounds. I think that is what THX recommends if that means anything to you.

Daniel Smith

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

IMHO all direct radiating, monopoles that match.

Most post mixing facilities, especially for DVD-Audio and SACD, do not use dipoles at all. Many newer films also have near field mixes made especially for home theaters and they usually use direct radiators too.

Dan

5. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Hmmm...
    I have the Monitor 11's as well as the CC 370. The sides are ADP 370's and rears are mini monitors.
    What I like about this config is that all the drivers are the same size. As well, your sides are filling towards the front and rear. This helps immensely when listening to dedicated 5.1.
    Oh by the way, the SVS 20-39 works well with these. [​IMG]

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am running all direct radiating speakers for my surrounds. It was an easy decision for me, since B&W's dipoles for the 600 Series are an old design made more for Pro Logic than the newer discreet surround formats.