7.1 surround???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tabor, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

What besides a 7.1 receiver is needed to get 7.1 surround from movies? Do the movies have to be in 7.1 format or do you have to have a dvd player that is capable of sending the format to the receiver?

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

Movies need to be encoded with a Dolby Digital (or THX Surround) EX track (matrix 6.1) or a DTS-ES track (discrete 6.1).

There is no such thing as a 7.1 format, but some people like 2 rear surrounds for better imaging. If you plan on having more than yourself enjoying this system, you would most likely go 7.1.

As far as I know, any DVD player would work for this. I don't think you need a DD EX or DTS-ES dvd player.

3. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

just for clarification....7.1 systems use a matrix algorythm to extract 2 extra pseudo discrete channels from 5.1 mixes...if a disc is encoded in 6.1 then the rear channel is mono and so it still turns them in to two pseudo discrete channels...it ussually sounds even better though because there is more directional steering available for the algorythm to work with. 7.1 disc will come though..its just a matter of time...I read an article once that said prologic2 was originally written as a 7 channel system but was slashed back to 5 channels for marketing reasons....so as soon as everyone in the world has updated to prologic2 the the new 7.1 prologic3 will be rolled out....sad but probably true...we are all being taken for a ride.lol [​IMG] in the mean time there is always logic7, who knows if prologic3 will be better or worse.

4. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

>>I read an article once that said prologic2 was originally written as a 7 channel system but was slashed back to 5 channels for marketing reasons.

5. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

you don't need a special dvd player just one with a digital ouput and the abaility to ouptut DD & DTS, which isl like every player around. Also if you have newer receiver or THX ULTRA2 one you might have something that makes a 7.1 soundtrack out of a 51 soundtrack. the THX ULTRA2 processing does a good job of this a nd I use it for most of my movies except dts-es or DD-ex encoded discs.

Daniel Smith

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    7.1 is referred to as these following things:

"Logic 7" processing found in some receivers and processors.

"7.1" Yamaha used a second upper set of front speakers with 5.1.

"7.1 EX/ES" The new EX/ES channel wired to two speakers.

None are discrete as of yet!

Wes

7. Ralph P.

Ralph P. Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,

Not all discs NEED to be encoded with surround EX or DTS ES processing. Quite a few 5.1 DD or DTS encoded discs will sound very good when played back with 7.1 channel processing applied. This processed which is considered " forced " 6.1 channel playback works quite well. As a matter of fact I have quite a few dsics in my collection that benefit from it, U-571, Jurassic Park, Godzilla, Forrest Gump to name a few. Food for thought.