1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

7.1 stereo, 5.1 stereo, or 2.1 stereo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tabor, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

Just wondered what all of your preferences are? I'm sure most of you will prefer 2.1 but myself I don't think there is a comparison for 7.1 stereo. Thats just me though, I like it loud and powerful. The sound just fills the entire room from every direction. There isn't a spot in the room that is any more quiet than another. And everyone i've played my system too thinks the 7.1 sound is amazing. When you switch between the two there is such a difference in sound. Anyway what are all your thoughts on this?

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

i may have a weird setup but my stereo is 4.1 which i love because sound equally comes from all corners of my room. plus it plays pretty loud [​IMG]

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i prefer 5.1 stereo to dpl2. i like the way the sound fill my room, not just from the front.

but, wait until a snob here tell you that "they are not good for critical listening." whatever that means.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't like DPL II for music. CS5.1 is better with most music, but still sounds artificial to me. 6ch stereo is not bad, but I still find it a bit distracting hearing the same thing from the rears as the mains. Basically, I still prefer to listen to stereo music in stereo.

5. Duane C

Duane C Auditioning

6. I have real high quality speakers matching all around on my 5.1 system with stereo subs. ...I still prefer stereo. I think the quality of the new SACD and DVDA recordings are supurb, but I do not like the way they put you in the middle of the musicians. I'd rather the rear channels be used to create the ambience rather than surrounding instruments.

7. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

At first I liked the multi (5.1) channel music processing, but as time went on I found myself moving back to 2 channel music. I actually went back to listening to vinyl instead of SACD and DVD-A. I guess it's just the way I felt music should sound since I listened mostly to stereo and vinyl growing up.

8. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

The more I listen to DVD Audio and now DTS cd music (some music in DTS ES at 24bit sampling) regular 16 bit/stereo CD's sound flat. Some of the new stuff puts you in the audience...but most places you in the center. The big difference I hear is a noticeable fidelity increase with the higher Bit rates!I think eventualyy CD's will go away and be replaced with DVD at 4+ gig storage!

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If we are talking about stereo music and DSPs, then my preference is still stereo, but there are plenty of great sounding multi-channel mixes out there. I have heard some great DTS and SACD recordings that don't sound artificial and don't have things in the rears that should not be there.

10. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

When I listen to music it is usually in stereo mode because in surround mode my cheap center and surrounds make the sound hollow compared to just running my Paradigm Titans. I do enjoy occasionally using DSP modes on my Pioneer reciever that emulate concert halls or other locations by sending reverbs and echos to the rear speakers.

11. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

2 channel only. The others just don't work for me.

12. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Well, the key is "quality" over "quantity". If you are asking me if I would prefer $5,000 worth of 2-channel vs $5,000 worth of 5.1 (or 7.1), the answer is easy. Certainly, the "quality" of sound from the 2-channel setup should be much better than with 5 (or 7) speakers. One would expect that there are speakers that cost $2,500 each that exist that would have a "higher quality sound" than speakers that cost $1,000 each. And, for me, having inferior sound (relative to the 2-channel rig) coming at me from many directions is not my idea of enjoyment.

However, if your question is "can seven speakers costing $2,500 each outperform 2 speakers costing $2,500 each", then I say sure, it's very likely. This, of course, assumes you have equal quality amplifiers driving each of these speakers.

Kevin

13. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

The 96kHz/24-bit LPCM material on DVD-Audio discs that I've heard sounds better than conventional CDs. DVD-Audio discs use the linear pulse code modulation (LPCM) digital recording method, much like the current LPCM system used on conventional CDs but with optionally higher sample rates (up to 192kHz) and optionally greater dynamic range due to increased bit depth (up to 24-bit samples).Sixteen-bit digital samples are insufficient to capture the low-level detail that is clearly audible on the analog originals, and can still be easily heard on vinyl records. The Direct Stream Digital format has bandwidth out to 100kHz or so, allowing the use of filters with more conservative slopes. No conventional audio DACs are required to reassemble the signal. The fact that Multi-channel is thrown in the mix is an added bonus...that if not over done has the potential to enhance not degrade.