What's new

7.1 speakers volume low (1 Viewer)

russell>b

Auditioning
so I have a 7.1 speaker setup and have used a sound meter to make sure the levels from all speakers are the same

the 2 rear speakers .. ie. on the back wall the volume is very very low compared to the 2 side surround speakers, so much that I have to stand next to them to make sure they are working.

I know I can just bump them up till Im happy with the volume (I have) but is this normal ? but you read so much about the importance of setting up the levels of all the speakers so they are equal ! should the back 7.1 surrounds be that soft.

what is everyone else's experience who has a 7.1 setup

thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
With the internal test tones on the receiver, the output is that low? I can think of no reason for that, as long as they are even half decent speakers.

Once your calibrated, you have to depend on the DD EX and/or DTS ES/Matrix to properly soundstage things.

They will be loud when the time comes in other words.

But when they say they should all be equal volume they are talking about with test tones, not content.

russell>b

Auditioning
when calibrating all speakers give the same volume.

but on playback (with a few diff movies) the volume from the 7.1 rears are very very low ...

anyway no big deal I'll just bump them up .. just wondering compared say to the side surrounds how lound the rears normally are

thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
It is your system, but I think you should experiment with it some before just cranking them up.

I swear, they will be loud when they are supposed to be loud.

Matthew-K

Stunt Coordinator
Russel: I am in the same situaiton as you are. I just bumped up the back surrounds in the receivers "channel adjust". I think it also has something to do with the side surrounds. I have trouble hearing effects from the back surrounds, but i think the side surrounds drown out some of the back surround effects.

Scott00

Auditioning
I had a similar problem with my system. It was an incorrect setting for listening mode on my receiver. I have a digital cable box and thought that I would receive surround sound selecting digital mode but apparently that is not the case. I guess according to the response from my question my digital cable box requires spdf or optical to be able to receive audio in surround, therefore I set my receiver to 6ch stereo and receive equal sound from all speakers. Here is a copy of the link from my post if it helps out your situation. ( cant make it clickable as I do not have 15 posts lol)

hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182719 add www as I can not in order to post

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks