What's new

7.1 Speaker Setup Placement (1 Viewer)

Javal

Grip
Real Name
Jason
First post... I am building a new home which is a walkout and we are finishing the basement and are putting a projection home theater in. The room with have blackout blinds to light control. The room size is open concept 32 long X 15 wide. Plan to use majority of room (18 X 15) for the home theater and the other have will be bar, sitting, etc.

The more I deal with a home theater store/designer the more I am thinking I want to do most of it myself. Please check my other posts in the hardware sections and offer feedback on what they are trying to sell me vs what you think I may actually need. I would very much appreciate it.

Sorry for the long introduction, but my question here is for speaker placement. If I am wiring for a 7.1 system, should I put the two rear channels directly behind the listeners or should they go on the sides? I have been reading and it looks like for true 7.1 they should go on the sides but is that practical with todays dvd/hd and also the decoding? Other suggest putting directly behind in a 6.1 format?

Obviously the side surrounds go on the side.

Thanks in advance.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, if you can experiment with positions first, I'd do that. What's best in an idealised plan may not work best in your room.

FWIW, I like the surround sound part of the mix to sound as if it's really behind me, regardless of what the ideal intention is (I know this sounds ridiculous, but I just cannot get over the idea that the system is working unless the sound is definitely behind). But this is a personal preference, and I wouldn't say that's right for everyone else.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, forgot to add - welcome to the forum.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks