7.1 speaker placement

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by HerbL, Mar 13, 2004.

1. HerbL

HerbL Auditioning

Need a little advice on a 7.1 surrounds placement. I've read a lot of posts on side and rear surounds placement when the couch is against the back wall and I wanted to find out how those setups worked out.

I've got 10' ceilings and my couch is right on the back wall. If I have the L/R surrounds directly to the side it's pretty close to the back wall. The rears obviously are going to be directly above the couch. How do I aim the rears? Up towards to ceiling? or slightly down? I've got JBL S36IIPM's for all my surrounds. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I would put forth that a compromised 7.1 setup might not work as well as an optimized 5.1 setup in your case. But, I would also say to try each way and see what you like best. [​IMG] As for the rears, I think they should point at you in that in a "normal" 7.1 setup with them behind you, they'd also point at you. But agin, if you can try both ways and see what you like best, that might be the best approch. One other thing, is that you could move the surrounds slightly forward of the listening position to to get a little more "depth" between the surrounds and rears.