What's new

7.1 speaker placement with couch on back wall (1 Viewer)

jjordan27

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
Hello all,

I recently purchased the Onkyo 6100 and it is in the mail. I am putting the right and left surround speaker at 90 degrees on the side walls facing directly at the listener.

Since the only way I can setup the room is with my sectional couch on the back wall, I believe I have to mound the Rear Left and Right speakers on the ceiling aiming down. My question is how far apart should I place the speakers. I have read a few posts and they vary on the placement of these speakers.

Also, if anyone else have a 7.1 system with a couch on the back wall, let me know your setup and how it sounds.

Thanks all, This forum ROCKS!!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Why not 5.1? You don't have to use all the speakers the come in the package.

If your room doesn't support 7.1, why force it. You will only make it sound worse.

Gospodarek

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
I agree with David. I have a similar Couch placement issue and i purchased 6.1. Tried to make it work, but the proper effect wasn't there. I stayed with 5.1 and don't miss athing. If I ever move i can still go for the 6.1.

jjordan27

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
So you're both saying that if you try to put the rear surround directly above and aimed down that it actually degrades the sound? Really?

Man that's disappointing. :frowning: I would still be willing to do it if there a small upgrade in sound, but if it will make it sound worse, I guess I'll do something else with those speakers.

Have anyone else tried this?

Any

jjordan27

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
cool, I guess I'll just use the extra 2 speakers to take advantage the other input for music in another room. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks