What's new

7.1 speaker placement in a small room? (1 Viewer)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I recently purchased a DA4ES and so far am very impressed with it. Right now I have 5.1 speakers, but I'd like to try some of the 7.1 sound fields. My problem is that my listening position is a couch pushed against the back wall of the 10x12 room, and my surround speakers are in the corners of the room directed towards the listening position. Obviously there is no way I can put speakers behind me, so I was thinking about putting the surrounds against the side walls, about midway between the front and rear walls, then put the surround back speakers where the surrounds are now sitting? I know 7.1 sound wasn't designed to be listened to in this manner, but this is the only way I could do it in this room. Would this arrangement give me good 7.1 effects or would I be wasting my time and money?

TIA, Bill

terence

Supporting Actor
I know 7.1 sound wasn't designed to be listened to in this manner, but this is the only way I could do it in this room. Would this arrangement give me good 7.1 effects or would I be wasting my time and money?
I also own 4ES, welcome to the club. To do this would defeat the purpose of how the sound engineers intended for you to hear DD EX or DTS ES movies. So in short you will be wasting money and time you could be spending enjoying your new toy.:D

I think you should wait until you can move into a bigger room to really take advantage of your SB channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks