7.1 Speaker and Receiver configuration questions (Denon 3802)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Gregory, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Todd Gregory

Todd Gregory Auditioning

I recently upgraded to the 3802 and am in the process of setting up my speakers in the rear and sides. I was a little confused before reading the manual and am even more so now.

I have 5 PSB Image speakers (7PT's, 9C, 10s) plus two small DCM surrounds. I would like to use the PSA 10s' for the most critical rear/side listening position. I tried them on the side rears but noticed the side and side rears get the same signal. It seems from reading the manual, I want some speakers for the surround backs over sides surround left/right.

Note: My listening position is directly against the same wall all my back speakers mount on. Also, I wired 9.1 and can position virtually any configuration for the rears and sides.

Questions
    1) Am I better off to put the 10s' on the sides or side rears to take advantage of their superior sound (to the DCM's)
    2) It looks like the surround back channels are mono and only used when the receiver detects a track for them. Is this true? Are they used when a standard 5.1 signal is used, even if it is digital signal?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BTW: I have been and will continue to search through the archives.

Todd

2. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Use your better speakers for the sides and the DCM's for the rears.The rear channel is mono,some prefer 2 speakers while I found I liked 1 better YMMV.You can setup the 3802 to auto-detect the rear signal,but some discs do not have the flag.Most people turn this feature to off.All you have to do then,is to push the 6.1 button on you remote to turn the rears on or off.A 5.1 disc will matrix the side info into the rear.Again,some people like this and some don't.Don't worry about the Denon manuals,their notorious for being the worst on the planet[​IMG] Hope this helps.
    Wayner

3. Todd Gregory

Todd Gregory Auditioning

Wayne,

I tried as you suggested and put the 10s' as the rear surrounds and the smaller DCM's as the surround back. I ran a couple of 6.1 movie scenes and what a difference!

I noticed the LED for surround back was on when I played several DD EX titles I have, I did not think the Denon supported EX only DTS-ES for discete 6.1. Does it support 6.1 DD EX?
    Todd

4. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

It supports both formats if my memory is correct..

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Todd,

Yeah the 3802 will do DD-EX, DTS-ES Matrix, & DTS-ES Discrete.

Try out some of these movies:

Lord of the Rings
    Gladiator
    Toy Story 2
    Haunting DTS
    Phantom Menace

6. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

The avr307 from B&K has the flexibility to to use side and rear surrounds as 5.1 though side speakers, 5.1 through backs, 5.1 with both side and backs (playing same sound), and 7.1 from same back speakers........and offers the ability to "shift-on-the-fly"............

7. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

-

8. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

-