What's new

7.1 Side Surround Help! (2 Viewers)

Abittencookie

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to figure out what would be best in a 7.1 setup for side surrounds. I currently have RC62, RF600 L+R, and R15Ms for my rears. I found a good deal locally used for RF82s ($500 CAD) which I was thinking I could move the 600s to the sides and use the 82s as mains. I also found a pair of RS42ii for $250 CAD. Was wondering if the RS42s would be best for the sides or would I be better off upgrading my mains and using my existing direct firing as sides? Thanks for any help in advance

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First, it helps others to help you if you identify what brand speakers you have. There are a couple more speaker brands than Klipsch.

I wouldn't go with any of those options. BTW, it sounds like your system isn't set up correctly to begin with. In a 5.1 system, the surround speakers are on the side, not the rear. When you go to 7.1, you add speakers in the rear, but there should always be surround speakers on the side. You also didn't describe the room and what sort of space you have around the viewing position. First, I wouldn't use floorstanding speakers for surrounds, mainly because they're not needed and also because you want to get them up to ear level, or higher in a system that isn't Atmos. Also, modern surround soundtracks seem to work better with direct radiating surround speakers, rather than dipoles like the RS42ii. Finally, if there's no space behind the viewing area, then rear speakers aren't going to work all that well. A lot of people make that mistake, and I've done it myself.

Abittencookie

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
First, it helps others to help you if you identify what brand speakers you have. There are a couple more speaker brands than Klipsch.

I wouldn't go with any of those options. BTW, it sounds like your system isn't set up correctly to begin with. In a 5.1 system, the surround speakers are on the side, not the rear. When you go to 7.1, you add speakers in the rear, but there should always be surround speakers on the side. You also didn't describe the room and what sort of space you have around the viewing position. First, I wouldn't use floorstanding speakers for surrounds, mainly because they're not needed and also because you want to get them up to ear level, or higher in a system that isn't Atmos. Also, modern surround soundtracks seem to work better with direct radiating surround speakers, rather than dipoles like the RS42ii. Finally, if there's no space behind the viewing area, then rear speakers aren't going to work all that well. A lot of people make that mistake, and I've done it myself.

Actually I had my R15s on the side in 5.1 to me that is the rear channel sorry could've clarified. I personally like have towers all around. I ended up grabbing the 82s and love the sound .Building stands today for the 4 surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks