What's new

7.1 side speaker placement (1 Viewer)

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
In a 7.1 setup, the side surrounds need to be aligned with the primary seating area, not in front of it, correct?

Given my room layout, it would be easier to place the side speakers about 4 feet in front of the seating area. Will this completely throw off the sound?

I was trying to avoid having to mount speakers on the wall....

Thanks,
Mike

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't do it, Mike.

Are you using bi-directional speaks or direct radiating for your side surrounds?

In a 7.1 set-up, the rear surrounds should be behind the key listening positions and not so far apart that they create a "hole" between them.

The side surrounds should be directly to either side of the key listening positions, at least 6 feet off the ground, and preferably bi-directional set in di-pole (i.e, out of phase with respect to each other) mode.

Placing them 4 feet in front of the key listening positions will not provide the intended diffuse sound stage and front-to-back panning special effects.

Regards,

Ed

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Edward, thanks for the input on placement, with that being the case, I will use Infinity QPS-1 Quadropole speakers for my sides (mounted about 9 feet high), and Interlude bookshelfs for my mains and my rears (both on 3' stands).

So, the rear speakers should not be at the corners of the room, but moved closer to the center? If so, this is actually a good thing for me and will help me to avoid a problematic doorway.

Thanks,
Mike

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I wouldn't go 9 feet high - that seems extreme. You want them somewhat above head level when you are seated so your ear isn't being lambasted by a nearby driver.

That works out to around 6 feet for most people.

Yes, the current 7.1 set-up (AFAIK) uses the same signal for both rear speakers. I have yet to see a true 7.1 DVD on the market. So placing the rear speaks too far apart will result in a loss of rear sound stage integrity - experiment but I think you'll find somewhere around 5-7 feet apart to be ideal (depending on room size).

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Unfortunately, I have no alternative as to height, as to the left of the seating area is a large open space shared w/the kitchen, and to the right of the seating area is a large window.

I'm hoping that the dispersion of the quadropole speakers will help make up for them being placed at that height.

Mounting height was also one of the reasons I wanted to put the speakers in front of the seating area, but that would be an even less attractive alternative.

Mike

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
One other thing, regarding the 7.1 signal: Until there are true 7.1 encoded DVDs, the 2 rear surrounds act like the center surround of a 6.1 system. But on a 6.1, all three rears would be placed behind the seating area.

So am I correct in assuming that when 7.1 DVDs are available, that you could move the rear surrounds further apart?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks