What's new

7.1 Setup with Sofa to Back Wall... Do-able? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Zee

Auditioning
Real Name
John Zanettos
Hi Guys,

I have a question for the group and I'm looking for confirmation...

Right now, my fronts are Axiom, M60's and a VP 150, and my surround speakers are Cambridge soundworks di/bipole and they are mounted high and at the sides of the listening position. The 5.1 setup is very good, but I want to try and go 7.1.

Now I have an older pair of Cambridge soundworks surround II's that I had before in a smaller room, and I was wondering if I add them on the back wall if that will help with envelopment. Also because the sofa is on the back wall will it help?

I also found a document on the web on how to properly position the dipoles for proper back wall 7.1 setup.

Do you think I should do this or stick to 5.1?

Also my receiver is an older Pioneer Elite 54TX that has 7.1 output including THX surround EX.

Thanks, and keep me posted.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree. Dipoles on the side are probably your best choice, but it depends on personal choice. Rear speakers directly over your head, which is what you would have with 7.1, never sounds good to me.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I've done it, but there was not much difference. When I moved to my new place, I still have the "couch against the wall" setup, but I went back to 5.1. Don't miss the 7.1 at all.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
I would stick with 5.1; I have a 7.1 system and it works very well in the 24' long room in my house, but as everyone has stated if you don't have the room behind you it woun't sound any better than 5.1

johnny..bon

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I had 2 JBL N24's wall mounted about 7 ft high directly behind the couch tilted down about 45° for a 7.1 system. Sounded much better than my 5.1 system especially with airplane or helicopter fly overs. The sound is directly overhead, very realistic.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I also say stay with 5.1. With your couch up against the back wall, there just isn't a good way to place the 2 rear speakers. A good 5.1 setup will beat a mediocre 7.1 every time I think. :)

You could always try out 7.1 and compare vs 5.1, but I just don't believe you're going hear much if any improvement, and it may sound worse.

Remember, and this is key: most movie soundtracks are 5.1 Those extra 2 channels are simply generated from the existing surround channels of a 5.1 soundtrack. So what's the difference if you have 1 pair or 2 pair of speakers creating that soundfield in a compromised setup to begin with? ;)

Johnny Zee

Auditioning
Real Name
John Zanettos
Thanks everyone,

It looks like a resounding stick to 5.1. I just may for kicks do a test and try it out and see how it is, but overall my 5.1 setup is very good, so why mess with a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks