What's new

7.1 Setup - Quick Questions (1 Viewer)

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Just ordered the Okyno S5500 System. Also ordered some 16GA speaker wire and a new HDMI cord. When I get it on Monday. I just hook it up and follow the setup process? - Is there a way that when I turn on my TV, the system turns on as well? - I will be able to plug my cable from the wall into the system, then HDMI out will take it to the TV......correct? - Do you think the Okyno remote will be able to control my Hiensense TV? - If I decide to get a Harmony 600 or 700, is it LIKLEY that it will be able to control my NETGEAR Neo internet TV box? (IE - I select power AUX, it will turn on the reciever, enter movie mode, turn on the tv, and turn on the netgear box all at the same time)? - Is the sub on this system passive? - Do recievers still "CLICK" when powered on like the old ones? Thanks! Sorry about all the questions!!!! Hope the setup goes well on Monday!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. That depends if your Hisense has an "auto-on" feature. Being a Hisense. I doubt it. 2. ??? What? 3. No 4. Have no idea. Go to the website for Hamony and start downloading some manuals. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes 5. Nope. It is powered. 6. Like they've "clicked" since the dawn of integrated amps in 1940. Download the manual... http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S5500&class=Systems&p=i

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Thanks!!! 1) I'll check and see if it has auto-on So passive is not powered and powered is called what? Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"So passive is not powered and powered is called what?" Powered. It really is that simple. Car audio is still beholden to passive subwoofers. Home audio(with few exclusions) has adopted on-board amplification. In many, MANY ways...passive subwoofer is how the home DIY is done. Passive gives you much greater freedom/flexibility. Powered is simply easier to "buy". So...passive or powered.

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
schan1269 said:
"So passive is not powered and powered is called what?" Powered. It really is that simple. Car audio is still beholden to passive subwoofers. Home audio(with few exclusions) has adopted on-board amplification. In many, MANY ways...passive subwoofer is how the home DIY is done. Passive gives you much greater freedom/flexibility. Powered is simply easier to "buy". So...passive or powered.
So in the future I could upgrade to most any powered sub on the market? I love love love bass! Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can buy any subwoofer ever made. If you had bought the 3500, where the AVR powers the passive sub, you could not(without hoops).

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
In question 2, I believe the OP is referring to the coaxial cable from the wall. If the system will accept that and convert it to HDMI. He would need something with a tuner like a cable box. Otherwise he has to connect the coaxial directly to the tv and run return audio back to the receiver correct?

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Brainwasher said:
In question 2, I believe the OP is referring to the coaxial cable from the wall. If the system will accept that and convert it to HDMI. He would need something with a tuner like a cable box. Otherwise he has to connect the coaxial directly to the tv and run return audio back to the receiver correct?
Yes. I want to know if it will accept it and convert it!!! :) please say yes Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No. You'll connect your cable to the TV, then feed an optical out from the TV back to the 5500's AVR. If your TV has an audio output.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
Unfortunately no, it will not. You don't have digital cable or sat tv box? You need something with a DTV tuner. Otherwise you have to run the RF59 cable into the TV, then a digital cable from the tv to the receiver.

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Brainwasher said:
Unfortunately no, it will not. You don't have digital cable or sat tv box? You need something with a DTV tuner. Otherwise you have to run the RF59 cable into the TV, then a digital cable from the tv to the receiver.
Can I buy a DTV? Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
So I just need to buy a digital audio cable? Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3ft-toslink-auido-cable-NEW-/281046599163?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item416faec5fb or http://www.ebay.com/itm/3FT-Premium-RCA-Digital-Coax-Coaxial-Audio-Video-Cable-Subwoofer-Cord-3-FT-/330807554863?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4d05aab32f

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
You need to make sure the tv has a digital output, and the receiver has a digital input. If they do, then you can use the toslink cable. I'm not sure if you have to "activate" the digital audio output through the TV menu.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Brainwasher said:
You need to make sure the tv has a digital output, and the receiver has a digital input. If they do, then you can use the toslink cable. I'm not sure if you have to "activate" the digital audio output through the TV menu.
Two things... He bought the HT-S5500. He has an unknown Hisense. Digital output is either toslink or digital coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks