7.1 Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Randy Klein, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Randy Klein

Randy Klein Auditioning

I am trying to configure a HTPC and I have some questions. I currently have a 7.1 Polk Audio speaker system hooked up to an Onkyo 989 THX receiver. I’ll probably sell the receiver to fund the following. I would like to build an HTPC that will replace my receiver, Tivo, DVD player and CD player. I’m thinking that it would be best to simply have the PC hooked to a 7 channel power amplifier. Now for my questions: Are there any such 7 channel for under $1000? Also, what vid card will be able to do all the DVD/video capture encoding/decoding ? What sound card is capable of 7.1 decoding, as I won’t have a receiver anymore to do this?

2. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the HTPC world! I'm telling you this, it's gonna be fun, frustrating and ... you'll find out.

Here's what I could tell you.

Pioneer sells good 7.1 recievers, I'd say it's better than Kenwoods based on my personla experience. The one that I have costs me around $550.00, yup I'm a bargain hunter (cheap).

I use the M-Audio Revolution and so far I am happy of its performance.

I use a Pinnacle TV Tuner/Capture card and I am about to upgrade my Video card to an nVidia 5600XT. I am currently using an ATI 7000 with 32MB of video memory... not sure if I'm gaining by upgrading it but that's the nature of HTPC.

Good Luck!