7.1 Rocks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haru, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

I just completed my 7.1 system.
    • NHT 2.9
    • NHT AudioCenter-2
    • 4 x NHT 1.5 rears
    • 2 x NHT SubTwoi
    I run them all as small, 80Hz, the subs in Mono, stacked in one corner off the LFE. The 2.9s run off a 250wpc power amp, the rest of the 5 speakers run off the Denon 3802s amplification.
    The 7.1 set up is just AWESOME. it makes a HUGE difference. I had thought it would be a minor, occasionally noticeable difference, but thats not right. Its a massive difference. Its a full 180 degree soundfield all the way around behind me, with very finely resolved movement of sound. No jumping from left to right or front to back. just fantastic!
    The only draw back is that when the levels are matched with a soundlevel meter, with actual material sometimes the rear 4 are louder than the front three. I'll have to play with the levels a bit till it feels just right.
    I think the next step is going to be be one speaker each on the left and right, at about 60° from the straight ahead. After that, I suppose there could be secondary speakers above and below to give a sound field in a volume, rather than on a plane....
    Until that happens, I am going to enjoy my 7.1. ITS SUPER!!

2. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on the 7.1!! I run 7.2 (2 subs) with full range tower spks. The rear soundfield is amazing. Sometimes my rear soundfield can be as good as my front. I have mine set at the 80db mark. Which receiver/pre-pro do you run?

3. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 3802 to power all the speakers except the 2.9s which run off a Carver A500x 250wpc. I was running my two subs in stereo as well, but I just hooked up in mono this weekend to see how i liked it.

4. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

I run Lexicon's Logic7. What is the 7.1 concept with your Denon? With Lexicon's steering logic (7.1), the side spks are the most important with Bass Enhance engaged, and the centre cut at 120Hz. What is Denon's pratice for getting the max out of 7.1?

5. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

Its nothing as sophisticated as the Lexicon. I just use the standard DTS 6.1 if the signal is there, or DD Surround EX for movies that have atleast 5.1. With EX, the rear channel is matrixed out of the left and right surrounds, but its done very well, because the image pan is just pin point sharp. There is no clue to where the speakers really are. just an envelope of sound.

The crossover from speaker to sub is not fully independently configurable on the Denon. If you set an 80Hz point, it will apply to all speakers that are set as SMALL. you can't set crossover points independently for each channel.

I don't like the idea of a 120Hz cut because that would route directional info away from where it belongs. I am not very happy with the 80Hz setting either because there DOES seem to be some directional content. Its not pin point, the side of the room that has the subs does sound "heavier". At the 50Hz cut off that I was using till I reconfigured the system, the bass was complete smooth and uniform. However, I wonder if its the location rather than the crossover point. Now the subs are in one corner. earlier one was in a corner, and the other was along the same wall about 70% of the way to the other corner. The bass was completely transparent then in terms of just being there, with no lumpiness in terms of where it was, how it was distributed in the room.

I will be playing around a lot to see what works best.

6. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

"What is Denon's pratice for getting the max out of 7.1?"
    the denon 3802 has a wide screen mode that "recreates the effects of the multi surround speakers in movie theaters. the result is 7.1-channel sound taking full advantage of surround back speakers, even with Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby digital/DTS 5.1-channel signals." this is quoted from the 3802 owners manual. i think the wide mode sounds great.

7. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

ricky, actually the widescreen is really bad imo. its a crapy dsp and you loose tons of quality in the process.
    neo6 will spread out to 6.1(7.1) much better, as dpl music, and even 7 stereo.
    this is quoted from me, so, its just me...[​IMG]

8. ricky ho

hey itai
    opinions are what we all have to offer.[​IMG] for music i agree with you. i use either neo6 or 7 channel stereo. but for movies, dvd or from cable, i find the wide mode quite impressive on my system in my home theater room.

9. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

do you also find the choosing a dsp in the 3802 lacking?
    you have to flip through them with the remote, and when you press the button again, it goes to the next one!...
    [​IMG]

10. ricky ho

i don't use the denon remote. i didn't like it from the get go! i've been using an easy zapper to control my system. you can add what ever commands you want to it.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

HOW ABOUT SOME CAPITAL LETTERS GENTELEMEN? [​IMG]
    I have a 5.1 setup and use THX on my 4802. The receiver shows THX 5.1.
    Is there a THX 7.1? Is it better than Widescreen?
    --
    Holadem

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

^^^^^^^^^^^

13. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I have the 3802 and I NEVER use the "widescreen" mode Instead I do 6.1 and use two rears which sounds more precise to me.

14. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Now go out and buy the Blue Man Group DVD-A and crank it up. You WILL be amazed!