What's new

7.1 Receiver with 5.1 Speakers (1 Viewer)

bcapsley

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Apsley
I have wired my home theater for a 5.1 surround setup. Now that I am shopping for a receiver, I am having a hard time finding a 5.1 receiver with HDMI inputs and outputs.

So, if I purchase a 7.1 receiver and connect it to my 5.1 speaker setup, will I be missing some of the audio during playback?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You won't be taking full advantage of your receiver's capabilities, but you won't exactly be missing anything either. You will configure the receiver to run as 5.1. Just find a receiver that fits your needs and don't sweat it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

The primary things 7.1 offers:

1. Better coverage for a large room.
2. With two speakers behind, you get smoother left to right rear pans.

If the first isn’t a concern, then don’t worry about using all channels. The second, rear left to right panning is fairly rare, so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over that either.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

bcapsley

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Apsley
Thanks for the input.

Will the receiver know that only five speakers are connected to it and adjust accordingly?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most will have a setup of some type. My Pioneer VSX-1014 has both and automated setup that detects the speakers that are connected as well as an on-screen menu that allows you to select speakers manually.

-Robert

Peco

Auditioning
Real Name
Peco
When I first got my reciever it was for 7.1 but I only had 5 speakers and it sounded ok. Now that I got my other 2 speakers I can tell it sound alittle better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks