What's new

7.1 Receiver Question (1 Viewer)

Nathan Rucker

Auditioning
Hey Everyone,

I am just starting my home theater and am looking at recievers. I noticed the Denon 3803 and a Pioneer Elite unit. Any others I should look at around the $1000 range. I really don't know much about seperates. Are these units comparable to a Outlaw package?

Thanks for the help!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Also check out the HK 7200. It can be found for around $800 where just a few months ago it was going for $1500+. It's a great 7.1 receiver in your price range.

EDIT: Oh, and I think I'd stick with an avr for $1000. Just get one that has pre-amp outs so you can gradually move to separates if you decide to do that in the future.

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
You could wait for the Denon 3805 also. List 1200 but I'm sure you could find it cheaper. Also the yamaha rx-v2400 has gotten good reviews and you could get it well under $1000.00.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Both the HK and the Denon have the pre outs so you could add an amp to them anytime if you decided to move to separates.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Hey Nathan,

I have had a HK7200 for a couple months now and I would say that it compares very well to the Outlaw 950/7100 package. The HK7200 was bench tested in S&V this summer at 142 watts per channel with 5 channels driven. It is capable of drawing 75amps and is the only receiver that I know of in this price range that is actually using a toridal transformer. I downgraded my HT from a Rotel 1066/Parasound 2205AT to the HK7200 and I have been extremely happy with the performance that I have gotten. At the price they are selling these for now they are a steal IMO! Good luck with your decision! :cool:

SethH

Senior HTF Member

If you do a quick search you'll find a lot of posts about how different companies rate their receivers different ways. From things I've read most people agree that HK rates their amps very modestly, whereas many companies dramatically overstate ratings.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with Denon or HK in terms of power unless you have extremely power-hungry speakers. For instance, if you're looking at B&W 800 series all the way around running at reference levels, you'd probably have to get an external amp, but with most speakers you won't have any trouble at all.

Russell Volz

Agent
Nathan, I too am looking at receivers. Please tell me if any of you think that the HK7200 is overkill for me.

I only play DVD movies. My room is only 12x12. I'm putting in a Panny 500 or Sanyo Z2 projector, and Denon 910 DVD. I'll probably hook the receiver up to my two cheep Boze speakers until I'm ready to select a speaker set for about a grand.

If not the 7200 then what? How about the HK325 or HK 430?

Thanks,

Russell

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Russell:

I think if I were in your situation I would go for a refurb 325 or 525. To me it seems like overkill to spend an equal amount on receiver and 5 or 6 speakers. However, the 7200 is an extremely good deal, so if you like it, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks