7.1 Rear speakers w/ dipole sides, should rear match or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Phipps, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Steven Phipps

Steven Phipps Stunt Coordinator

Steve Phipps
    Currently I am making the leap into 7.1 from 5.1. I have ML Aerius in the front, B&W DS6 (dipole) sides, what should I use for the rear...the same B&W's (dipole), or direct radiating? Thanks.

2. Steven Phipps

Steven Phipps Stunt Coordinator

Steve Phipps
    Anybody? I asked this question a long time ago, and didn't get a reply, I thought at least a couple of people might have an opinion. Even those who have this set up, please tell me what you went with, if you had dipole sides. Thanks...

3. TimothyW

TimothyW Extra

I think the consensus for rear surrounds is to use monopoles instead of dipoles because with dipoles there is a null that should be lined up where the listener's ears are and if you have a seating arrangement where the couch is parallel with the rear wall, then where does the dipole speaker go? Because of this, I think, monopoles or even bipoles may work better.

Of course the bottom line is that it is all listening preference so if you have dipole rears and you really like the sound vs. monoples/bipoles, then that's the setup to use.

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I haven't yet had an opportunity to listen to a system with bipolar side and surround back receivers myself. I did read an article in Home Theater Magazine a bit over a year ago where they did a blind test to determine what sounds best. The did the test using a combination of direct radiating and bipolar speakers for side and rear surround speakers. When the test was complete, all the listeners preferred having bipolar speakers all around.

5. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

Idealy all speakers should be the same so that, for example, there is no difference in a sound that is panning around you. But that is not always practical. Myself, when the day comes for me to upgrade to 7.1, I'll match the sides to the rears.

6. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

I've been thinking about this upgrade for a while now myself. Here's what I think.

Dipole sides, direct radiating rears...all timber matched to front three speakers.

Rationale:

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, dipoles create a diffuse wash of surround with the null at or about at the listener's ear level. To go to 7.1 by adding direct radiating surrounds placed behind the listener would add more specific directional cues at the rear of the room. Not a bad thing.

End result:

Specific directional cues at the front of the room, diffuse surround from the side dipoles on side walls and specific directional cues again at the rear from the direct radiating rear surrounds.

That's my theory anyway. Someday I hope to see how it will work in practice.

Cheers!

-Paul