What's new

7.1 Question? (1 Viewer)

Pete Bishop

Agent
If dvd's are being formatted for 5.1, then how does 7.1 work? Does the receiver try to create 7.1 from the 5.1 format? If thats the case then it isn't true 7.1 right?

Pete Bishop

Agent
If dvd's are being formatted for 5.1, then how does 7.1 work? Does the receiver try to create 7.1 from the 5.1 format? If thats the case then it isn't true 7.1 right?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Your right!

Only dts has a true 6.1 and that is even processed to remove information out of the surround R/L when played in 6.1.

Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Your right!

Only dts has a true 6.1 and that is even processed to remove information out of the surround R/L when played in 6.1.

Wes

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
My Denon 3803 gives me 3 options:

Matrix ON: Even if the DVD is 5.1, it will use the DD-EX or DTS-ES decoder to matrix surround back speakers. It is just like using Pro-Logic in the rears.

Matrix OFF: It copies the surround channels to the surround back speakers.

Surround Back OFF. It plays in 5.1 only.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
My Denon 3803 gives me 3 options:

Matrix ON: Even if the DVD is 5.1, it will use the DD-EX or DTS-ES decoder to matrix surround back speakers. It is just like using Pro-Logic in the rears.

Matrix OFF: It copies the surround channels to the surround back speakers.

Surround Back OFF. It plays in 5.1 only.

Pete Bishop

Agent
Thanks Chris.

Now that strikes up a couple more questions. They are planning to have 7.1 format on DVD's in the future, right?
Will my 7.1 receiver also do 6.1(Is it backward compatible for 6.1)?

Pete Bishop

Agent
Thanks Chris.

Now that strikes up a couple more questions. They are planning to have 7.1 format on DVD's in the future, right?
Will my 7.1 receiver also do 6.1(Is it backward compatible for 6.1)?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Not to my knowledge.

We will see with HD-DVD and the like, though. I'm sure there are better compression schemes and lossless high-res stuff in the works for that. Not sure how many channels it will support or anything.

But for DVD at the moment we are limited to what the current DD and DTS provides.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Not to my knowledge.

We will see with HD-DVD and the like, though. I'm sure there are better compression schemes and lossless high-res stuff in the works for that. Not sure how many channels it will support or anything.

But for DVD at the moment we are limited to what the current DD and DTS provides.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>Only dts has a true 6.1<

We're getting into the area of "true" and "discreet" debate. I think it's important to note that, while EX material does not have a discreet back channel, a properly mixed EX source will play back channel sounds through the back channel speakers.

If you put your ear to a back channel speaker you may occasionally hear sounds that are not intended for the back channel. However, while watching your favorite films, sitting in your sweet spotted seat, (or even off to the sides, front, or back of the room), you will hear the soundtrack as it was intended to be heard.

The simple fact is that you don't need infinite separation between channels to hear separate and individual channels (if you did, the stereo LP would never have come into existence). In other words, matrixing does work.

Marty

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if at least the Dolby Digital folks do a discrete version of Dolby Digital EX for HD-DVD (to match DTS-ES discrete), but I was a betting man :), wouldn't surprise me at all to see them try to leapfrog them to 7.1 discrete. But who knows?

As far as DPL IIx and Logic 7 go, which right now are probably the 2 best ways of "expanding" a 5.1 soundtrack to 7.1 channels, most people do prefer 7.1 playback to 5.1 playback. But how the system and speakers are set up matters as well. A well done 5.1 system will beat a mediocre 7.1 setup every time. But by the same token, I believe that a well done 7.1 system will be preferred by most people over a well done 5.1 system too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks