What's new

7.1 over HDMI using GTX 670 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nikitaev

Auditioning
Hello, I got my home theater setup but the computer is not delivering 7.1 via HDMI.

Here is my computer setup:
GA-Z68XP-UD3 motherboard
16GB RAM
GTX 670 graphics card
i7 core 2700k processor
Windows 7 OS

I have an HDMI cable running from the GTX 670 to my Onkyo NR-3010 receiver. On that receiver, I have 11.4 surround sound setup with a total of 15 speakers. I downloaded a 7.1 test WAV fileand played it through VLC media player (it allows me to select my playback format) and even in THX cinema mode using 11.4 setup, I was still getting the stereo image over HDMI. I went ahead and used optical coming from my motherboard and I managed to get 7.1, however, my surround and rear surround speakers were inverted and I don't see any setting on the computer of how to change that. I have reinstalled my drivers, tried different HDMI ports on the receiver, used different cables, and I'm still not getting the 7.1 over HDMI.
When I go to my playback devices, I see my HDMI port and it is labeled as TX-NR3010-1 so I know it recognizes the receiver. However, when I go to properties, it says the max channels are 2 and when I go to configure, the only mode I have available is stereo.
As for the optical connection, in playback devices it is listed as "Realtek Digital Output (optical)" and does not give me the configure option, just properties. Under properties in the advanced tab, the default format only goes up to "Dolby Digital Live (5.1 Surround)".
This is completely unacceptable for me as I got the audio system solely for the computer as my movie player and game console and I set my self back at least 5 grand with it.
Any help will be much appreciated.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Optical shouldn't have any real way to deliver 7.1; the highest supported format over optical was DTS-EX and DD6.1, DVD formats.. it won't support the bitrate or means for full stream.

That said, if you switch to HDMI, you're only seeing two channel? In this case, you should not be looking in the Realtek control panel, but rather in the windows sound mixer and output devices.. you should see as an output device something like "Nvidia High Definition Audio Device", if not, make sure you install the latest drivers from Nvidia's website..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks