7.1 - Our receivers have it - Will there ever Be 7.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Flora, Jul 7, 2002.

1. David Flora

David Flora Stunt Coordinator

I know many of us have 7.1 receivers, but will they ever make dvd's with 7.1 surround instead of just 6.1? I know you probably wouldn't hear much difference if an additional back channel was added, but if it's there, why not utilize it? Just seeing if anyone knows if there are any plans in the works to utilize it. Thanks!

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

This is a common misunderstanding. When a receiver manufacturer says 7.1, they mean they are providing 7 channels of amplification. In actuality, the two rear channels are mono and this is what the software in the receiver will allow for. If the people who make the movies ever produce a soundtrack that is actually 7.1 in terms of the channels, everyone would have to go buy a new receiver to decode it. So, I hope there isn't a 7.1 audio format in our future.

3. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully those of us who bought an Onkyo 989 can just pay a couple hundred bucks for an upgrade and then have the 7.1 channels[​IMG]

4. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I'm capable of 7.1, but I highly doubt we'll ever see it.

5. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I have often wondered about the value of 7.1 receivers over something like Yamaha uses in providing a single rear center channel. Is there a real advantage that anyone knows of in using 2 rears other than maybe for room symmetry in the placement of the rear speaker(s)? I haven't used a rear center but would think that a bipole speaker in that position would be adequate in spreading the sound around. Am I missing something?

6. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Whether 6.1/7.1 the effective way to broaden the top (and rear) soundstage is to run two rear speakers. Simply run them in series in a 6.1 setup. This will dramatically change localization. The sides will blend around to the rear as opposed to a triangular dispersion.

There are arguments for and against bipoles at the rear. Whatever the choice, I would not recommend a single bipole at the rear. (difficult to buy just one anyway)

7. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

I'm currently running a 6.1 system with a yamaha RX-V3200 receiver, 2 definitive tech. bipole rears and a single def tech center channel for my rear center. Even if I had 7.1 capability in my receiver, I wouldn't have enough room for 2 rear centers anyhow. As it is now, I think the rear center DOES make a difference, even if it isn't night-and-day over standard 5.1. According to THX-Ultra 2 specifications, one does require 2 rear center direct radiating speakers, while having 2 dipoles on the side. In my opinion, I'm glad that I have bipole rears over direct radiating as my left/right rear channels. Personally, I think it sounds better. But Steve is right, there are arguments on both sides of the bipole or no bipole issue. If I had the space for 2 rear centers, especially if dvds were to come encoded that way, I would jump on it. Bottom line:Whether you're adding 1 or 2 rear centers, it will sound better.[​IMG]

8. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I just want more DTS 6.1 discrete soundtracks. It just seems like there is only a handful of titles that are actually 6.1 Discrete.

Is it the studios that are not releasing the 6.1 discrete format or is that the movie was never recorded in 6.1 discrete?

9. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

As far as I know, not many movies are encoded with EX/ES theatrically. I'm sure that will change in the near future, regardless, I would like to be up to date in terms of home theater technology.[​IMG]

10. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

"So, I hope there isn't a 7.1 audio format in our future.
    "
    Alex, I hope you ment: in the near future!...[​IMG]

11. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

>>Is it the studios that are not releasing the 6.1 discrete format or is that the movie was never recorded in 6.1 discrete?

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

7.1 is really just an amplifier in my view. If you have 6.1, just buy a Y-RCA CABLE and split the pre-out rear surround to a stereo amp or pair of amps and there's your two rear center surrounds. It is often prefered compared to single rear center speaker anyways. Sometimes a single rear center speaker is hard to localize, so by putting two rear speakers there, you have the ability to localize the rear signal without having to move your head. 6.1 and 7.1 are the same in my view since the rear signal is in fact mono. One Y-cable and one channel of amplification are all that separate 6.1 from 7.1.

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

14. Greg Haynes

Michael, thank for the info. Never knew that 6.1 discrete was for home use only. So I guess its up to DTS and not the studios to decide if they want to master the sound in 6.1 discrete.

15. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

Well I know it's not a gimmick in my opinion. If you were to listen to the DTS ES or Dolby EX dvd's on a 7.1 system(both rears play the same signal) you wouldn'g be talking about gimmicks. I personally and many others can hear a much better expierience than the 5.1 counterparts. I'll take Se7en, Gladiator, RushHour 2, The Haunting, T2, and the Phantom Menace over any 5.1 setup. More are coming out it's just a matter of time!

Give me all the DTS ES and Dolby EX ya got, cause it is superior to a 5.1 setup!

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

17. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

hopefully i wouldn't have to buy a new receiver if a 7.1 format ever comes out. i would have to buy a multi-channel decoder(if it's made and not to expensive). my receiver (denon 3802) has ext.in and pre-outs for 7.1. so when buying this receiver i felt i was basically covered for a 7.1 upgrade path.

18. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

There won't be a 7.1 dvd digital audio standard until there is a new dvd (part of hd-dvd?) digital audio standard. The existing standards (DD/DTS) were not designed to support 7.1 discrete channels and can't support it. This will mean you'll need both a new dvd player (in order to read it) and a new processor in order to decode the new standard.

cheers,

--tom

19. Greg Haynes

I believe THX was talking about a 10.2 system not too long ago.
    I couldn't imagine fitting 10 speakers and 2 subs in a single room. That's alot of speaker wire [​IMG]

20. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

I hope that no one is begging to upgrade again, because I doubt if many/any of the "software-only" upgradeable units set-up the audio paths to take advantage of the possibility.....