What's new

7.1 movie question (1 Viewer)

Paul Sawyer

Auditioning
Ok, I have 7.1 surround and was wondering if anyone compiled a list of movies that will support extended sound.

And also, knowing that there is no "true" 7.1 movie, what are the formats that will support my set-up the best?

THX-ES?

TIA.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Moving this to Software, since the question concerns media for home viewing.

Not only is there new "7.1" movie format, but there's also no "7.1" format for home viewing. What's commonly referred to as a "7.1" system is either:

1. A system set up for DD EX or DTS-ES but using two rear center speakers instead of one; or

2. A system set up for one of several proprietary post-processing modes such as Lexicon's Logic7.

If you have the former, the best choices will be DVDs with DD EX or DTS-ES soundtracks. If you have the latter, the sound format is less important, but it depends on what you have. So-called "7.1" is much more a product of the processor than the recording format.

M.

Lev-S

Second Unit
2. A system set up for one of several proprietary post-processing modes such as Lexicon's Logic7.
Am I mistaken or doesn't Harman International (makers of Harman/Kardon, JBL, Infinity) hold the rights to Logic 7? Did they not create it?

Paul Sawyer

Auditioning
The earlier acessment was correct I have a pioneer elite VSX-45TX, it uses 2 rear speakers.

A system set up for DD EX or DTS-ES but using two rear center speakers instead of one; or
Apparently, per my supplier, there is a better setting for me, which I had not been using.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
There has also been talk of modified DD-EX and DTS-ES formats that utilize the "ceiling channel" for theaterical use, and perhaps home use down the road, for 7.1 channels.

This means adding an out-of-phase matrixed channel onto the rear channels. Simple to do, but this would not work on a THZ 7.1 setup. Strangely, it WOUlD work on a homebrew DD-EX setup... hmmm

nick

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Am I mistaken or doesn't Harman International (makers of Harman/Kardon, JBL, Infinity) hold the rights to Logic 7? Did they not create it?
Lexicon created Logic7. Then Harman bought Lexicon, which now operates as a subsidiary of Harman. That's why there are implementations of Logic7 on various Harman receivers. But I'm not aware of any receiver that has the full version, which is still reserved for Lexicon processors.

M.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
This means adding an out-of-phase matrixed channel onto the rear channels. Simple to do, but this would not work on a THZ 7.1 setup. Strangely, it WOUlD work on a homebrew DD-EX setup... hmmm
What is a THX 7.1 setup and how does it differ from a homebrew DD-EX setup.

Also, have you guys heard about the petition to ask the industry for a specific channel for tactile transducers?

I suppose the ulitmate codec would be 9.1 (7.1 surrounds with a ceilng channel and tactile transduction channel).

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
What is a THX 7.1 setup and how does it differ from a homebrew DD-EX setup
I thought the THX 7.1 receiver was only designed for 6.1 channels and lower. The rear 2 speakers either plays the same signal, or extrapolates something from the 6.1 input.

Homebrew DD-ES setups take a 6.1 (matrix) input, and send the rear 2 channels into a DPL decoder to form 4 channels.
Two sides, a read, and the 4th channel is discarded.

That 4th channel may be used as a 'ceiling' channel. I believe some theatrical released have used it, but no home releases.

SO... this 7.1 is technically a 5.1 with 2 extra matrixed channels.

-Nick

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Homebrew DD-ES setups take a 6.1 (matrix) input, and send the rear 2 channels into a DPL decoder to form 4 channels.
The better approach is to use a DPL decoder with a 3-channel mode (left, center, rear), which used to be quite common. The matrix processing for a rear center channel is the same as the processing used to extract a front center channel in standard DPL.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks