What's new

7.1 inputs for upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
Hello, everyone. I spend a lot of time reading here but I hardley ever post. I have been an audio/video enthusiest{not sure if I spelled enthusiest right) since I was a three year old drawing pictures of how my father audio system was connected ( he was a dj for local clubs and disco studios back in the 70's).

I must this is a great site. I hardley ever post here because if just keeping reading all the post I find that most of my questions get answered here. And man it feels so good to hear from other who are passionate about this stuff as I am. It's hard being many people who like at me like I am a Trekkie coming from a star trek convention, when ever I start explaining to them about the available hometheater equipment thats out there. And one of my favorite things to do is go and discuss hometheater gear with the salesman at circuit city or ABC wharehouse. They always end the conversation with "are you an engineer or somthing" and I always suggest all of the major hometheater mags out there and point them to this website as a means to improve his knowledge as a salesman.

One guy at ABC wharehouse, told me that before the sony 5 disc dvd player I was looking at wouldn't be able to play mp3's ( even thought it had the logo right on the front) untill I sent it to the manufacturer and by the modifiction. I think he watched "Boogie Nights one tim too many.

but to get to the real reason why I am posting, is that I am seeking your opinion. I am currently building a dedicated theater in my basement of my rented house. I am nearly finished but I still have a lot of things to do. I also plan to get a projector with in the next 6 to 7 months. The Problem is that I want to also upgrade my processing formats.

I currently using a onkyo 787-ex as a pre.pro. I want to upgrade to prologic II and DTS Discreet. I am very interested in the sony 4 es and pioneer 45tx, but buying them may effect my future projector choices. I don't want to get a receiver that is below the onkyo just to get the latest features. So I thought about buying the pioneer 811s, or a Harman 320 to connect through the onkyo's 7.1 inputs and use the pro-logic II and DTS-discreet. in that unit.

So I am asking what do you guys think of this Idea?

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
I did that very thing - a remanufactured h/k 320 used as a preamp / processor. $398.00 direct from Harman Audio. Works great for me.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Getting a receiver to run through another receiver, and then to an external amp is sort of redundant and pointless. You will still hear the sonic character of whatever receiver is doing the decoding, and just using the 787 to pass signal is not gaining you anything since you are running off the analog inputs. If you are going to do this, I would suggest simply replacing the 787 altogether.
IMO, unless you watch a lot of VHS tapes, you aren't missing much with PL II.
What amp are you using with the 787?
enthusiest = enthusiast, there is a handy spell check function right at the bottom of the post window. :D
Though this one is different: discreet vs. discrete, this is a grammar fault, as both words are correct, but have different meanings. In the context of DTS, discrete would be the correct word. :)

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I Have thought about doing this because the 787 does not have dts discrete or pro-logic II. there are not any 400 dollar receivers that has the same quality and features ad the 787. The HK 320 is probably close but it does not have Dolby ex. I want am interested in pro-logic II for those days I want watch my "Star Wars VI-VII" vhs tapes, seeing that they are not on dvd yet. I am not expecting any sound improvements by doing this, actually I am worried that the adverse will happen. Just a simple way of getting a couple of features that I do not have. I am looking as if it's an add on processor.

I tried using the spell check, but only a blank window would pop up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks