What's new

7.1 DVDs (1 Viewer)

JaleelK

Second Unit
THX recommend two centre rears set at an angle, rather than a single rear speaker, to combat this odd psycho-acoustic effect. But it's still the same centre signal split into two. And Dolby obviously don't have the same hang-ups as THX, as they're certifying single-rear channel amps left, right, and err...centre.
I believe the 6.1/7.1 one is a marketing scam by equipment manufacturers to get us to keep spending $$$ on equipment.

Even DD-EX and DTS-ES are rarely used theatrically and how many DVD's have been released in DTS-ES or DD-EX since these formats have been introduced?, maybe 150 combined. I can't understand how we can spend thousands upgrading equipment for a format that's barely supported.

JaleelK

Second Unit
Now 7.1 or at least 5.1.1 (the extra .1 for height) is a very intriguing prospect. Yes, adding a height channel will certainly produce a more enveloping environment and create a 3D environment that the current 2D configurations cannot provide.
If there are too many channels they will distract from the picture. If you want to use more than 5.1 for multichannel music that makes more sense to me, but I would like to see most of the channels in the front.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Go on - add more speakers! Just remember this: The images that you will be seeing on the screen will still (more or less) be small-gauge 35mm - Super 35, okay as it is, is an amateurish camera system compared to 65mm, and that includes Doug Trumbull's 60fps ShowScan! :emoji_thumbsup:
Standard mainstream filmmaking has barely changed since 1952, as far as recording the an image goes. The 35mm aperture and film frame is small. Don't get me wrong, it can look great, but better should have been in use by now. Okay, you have digital cameras now, but they are not all that impressive. 3-D has faltered many, many times and IMAX seems to be too big! Argh!
Just idle thoughts. Any comments?! ;)
Gordy

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
We Were Soldiers is the one that I know of....
I thought that Dolby and Lucasfilm wanted to do something special for "The Phantom Menace" experimented with a overhead "voice of God" height channel before the film went into production and decided that it didn't do much and buried the idea. EX/6.1 was the next step and is what they ended up implementing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks