7.1 channel surround

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Paskovics, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Chuck Paskovics

Chuck Paskovics Stunt Coordinator

My new receiver supports 7.1 surround, but I need an external amplifier to use it. I havent yet got the extra amp or the extra satalite speakers and wanted to know from someone out there who has used this if it was worth adding to the system. Can someone give any recommendations?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You need to specify the make and model of receiver. Unlike standard format such as as Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS, there is really no such thing as a "7.1" format. Different receivers and pre/pros implement it differently, some do it much better than others.
    For general information, I'm copying what I previously posted in a thread in the Receivers Forum. The thread was lost, but I still have a copy of the post:

3. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

I own the H/K AVR 520, which is 7.1 capable, but also needs external power for the rear surrounds. I am running the rears off the old receiver I am replacing with the 520. I have also found that I almost never use the rear surrounds.
    I watch TV and listen to music using Dolby ProLogic II (only 5.1) and a large majority of my DVDs are Dolby Digital (because my old receiver did not dedcode DTS). Since the 520 does not decode DD-EX, I am still watching movies in 5.1. I have not done a lot of testing, but the 520's Logic 7 feature (similar to DPL II but adds the rear surrounds) does not impress me as much as it has for others. I do have the option of 7-channel stereo, but my room is so small (I am still living in an apt.) that the 5 channels the 520 is powering is more than enough.
    All of this is not to say, however, that 7.1 is not useful. I would love to be able to watch SW:TPM in its DD-EX glory, but I will have to wait until I get a nice pre/pro that does all of the necessary decoding. For now, when I watch one of the few DTS DVDs that are in my collection, I always use the rear surrounds for just a bit more realism. It is also nice to know that you will not have to upgrade to a new sound technology for a little bit longer (I hope..) [​IMG]

4. Brad Craig

Brad Craig Stunt Coordinator

So the receivers that say "6.1" and have a rear center channel output will they all do the DTS ES discrete???

If no to the question above , how do you know if your receiver is EX or ES discrete on the rear center channel???

What movies support this true 6 channels of sound???

Also is there a DD ES discrete???

5. Michael Reuben

Brad, I'm going go answer in a slightly different order.

6. Jason Lovely

Jason Lovely Stunt Coordinator

I ran into this when reading about the Pioneer VSX-D810S receiver I'm getting. It says it's compatible with DTS-ES Matrix, and it has an amplified rear center surround channel. So, this means that the center channel is extracted from the left and right surround channels, right? Am I correct in assuming that this is not compatible with DTS-ES Discrete?

7. Jason Lovely

Jason Lovely Stunt Coordinator

If a reciever decodes Dolby Digital and DTS-ES Matrix, will you hear sound out of the rear center surround speaker if you're listening to a Dolby Digital EX track?

8. Michael Reuben

9. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I've got a 3802 and listen to all movies in 7.1 and really like it. During PH in the hanger when the mechanic drops the wrench I heard it directly behind me. During JPIII you are totally surrounded by sound when the dinos are running through the field.

I would buy a 7.1 receiver as it's the latest technology, so you'll be ready when it becomes mainstream.

This will all sound even better this weekend when I get my new Klipsch's set up. Take care...Mike

10. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter