7.1 and pre/pro - amp interconnects question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Might not be the best place to post this, but I'll give it a shot...

Am upgrading from 5.1 speakers to 7.1. Use is 80/20, HT/music. I've currently got 5 higher-end interconnects between pre/pro + amps and won't be able to afford two more of the same IC's for a while. Am I best to put higher end interconnects [a] on side speakers or on the rears until I can get matching cables for the remaining two speakers? Why?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Paul,

I would choose the side surrounds over the rear surrounds for the higher end ICs if for nothing else than to be using the same ICs for any 6 Channel input source (SACD/DVD-A) you might have.

Michael

3. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Hi Paul,

I just upgraded to 7.1 also. There is very little information to the rear center speakers. So, I'd say put the lesser cables for the rear center speakers. I don't think you'll hear much of a difference unless you use some really cheap cables. And, maybe not even then.

P.S. Nice setup in your room!

4. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Hi Michael!
    Thanks for your post! Nice to run into you outside the now legendary AVM-20 thread. [​IMG] I was thinking the same as you suggest above, although I don't presently have SACD or DVD-A in my rig. Given that, would you still recommend sides or rears? (BTW, I'm another happy AVM-20 owner).

Cheers,
    -Paul

5. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Darrel,
    Thanks, that's very helpful!
    Thanks also for the kind words-the family loves this room!

6. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Paul,

I don't have a 7.1 setup, so I am not sure how much information is spread amongst the surround speakers. But Darrel's comments are consistent with those of others I have read, so I would stick with the side surround speakers.

Michael